Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Entire House Fills with Ice

There's a lot wrong with those pictues if we're
supposed to believe the ice flows came from a
house full of water, especially considering it
seems to be sided with vinyl siding.
We used to do the same things as a kid and got
nearly identical pictures: All it takes is a
faucet, a hose and a way to position it against
the side of the house. Some pictures are worth a
lot of lies rather than a thousand words.

Fun to think about though.

I find this hard to believe. This house was in
foreclosure, the heat was turned off, and a pipe
broke
filling the house with an estimated 100,000
gallons of
water. The outdoor temperature was MINUS 40
deg. F The
entire first floor (if not more) of the house
filled with
ice, which was coming out of windows, light
fixtures, and
through the siding. Here are the links to the
photos
from the tv news channel.

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...23b2_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...6cf6_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...0b31_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...9905_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...09bf_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...04c2_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...3d20_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...a2d2_large.jpg

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...8147_large.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...os/2009/01/16/...

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.c...009/01/16/...- Hide quoted text -

It could be legit. last really cold winter the county airport didnt
turn their fountain off. Created a 60 foot high ice pile, self
supporting.

No reason that couldsnt happen inside a home. I wonder how much damage
it would do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

dpb wrote:

And, do you suppose the mortgage holding company just _might_ be
considering checking whether any of their other foreclosured
propertiess are also vacant and unheated w/o the water having been
turned off?

The mortgage companies weren't smart enough to make sure they were lending
money to people who could afford to pay it back, expecting them to deal with
freezing weather is probably asking too much.

The mortgage companies were brilliant, and they made a hell of a lot of
money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , CJT wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , CJT wrote:

dpb wrote:

snip

Let's see---if it were a 1600 sq-ft area, the volume at 8-ft ceiling
height would be 12,800 cu-ft -- ~96,000 gal (ok, that's pretty near
the 100k earlier guess) == ~~6,640,000 lb-wt

That would translate to a distributed lateral load of ~5200 lb-f/sq-ft
or 36 psi. That's expecting the house to hold the equivalent of 2-1/2
atmospheres w/ no apparent failures (even bowing walls aren't visible
in the pictures to any extent)--ain't agonna' happen.

snip

I think you're off by a factor of 10.

He's off by a lot more than that. A gallon of water weighs about 8-1/3

pounds,
so 96,000 gallons would weigh 800,000 pounds, not 6.6 million.

Suppose for a moment that your numbers are correct.

6,600,000/800,000 = 8.25, not all that different from "a factor of 10."

8 feet * .433 psi/ft is only about 3.5 psi.

800,000 pounds / 1600 sf = 500 pounds / sf = 0.29 psi.

500/144 = 3.47, roughly what I said.

My fault. My final conversion is wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain't seen nothing' yet!
Just wait. You'll be crying' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

Give him a chance! Just think about all the idiots who 're-elected'
George W' for a SECOND term.

Sheesh! Cringing and embarrassed one presumes.

If this presidency doesn't work maybe America needs to consider some
other form of government? One that is more representational of all
citizens, free-er of lobbying, politics and the self interests of big
business and the military-industrial complex.

Just look at who has to be 'bailed' out; this time!

It's no longer 'What is good for General Motors is good for America!'
GMC corporation is the one that needed the MOST help!

Noting that Toyota isn't looking for a handout!

And badly regulated banks and corrupt financial and lending
institutions/corporations that have caused this mess. It's quite clear
that 'Free Enterprise' should not mean 'Freedom to rob'.

BTW. Does anyone remember the word 'Quisling' after WWII? Well; we
need an equivalent to describe Cheney's role in recent events. "Puppet
Master" maybe?

Mission ACCOMPLISHED indeed!

More like another hurried retreat from Saigon!

So let's repair our own house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 10:17*pm, " wrote:

It could be legit. last really cold winter the county airport didn't
turn their fountain off. Created a 60 foot high ice pile, self
supporting.

No reason that couldn't happen inside a home. I wonder how much damage
it would do?- Hide quoted text -

House in Montreal Canada some 40+ years ago. Hot water radiation
heating. Owner and family transferred. Brother in law supposed to
check on house. Cold spell. Everything froze. Then thawed, then froze
again. Immense damage to heating, plastered walls etc. Rumoured then
to be over $15,000 (considering house prices then probably about one
third value of house?) Today probably $50,000 or more!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 11:51 am, "Bob F" wrote:
If the leak was at the right rate, the water could have frozen in layers, thus
never really having the pressure on the walls of the equivalent depth of water

Possible, but I don't see how it could do that and have flowed outside
as it did (in the quantity it did) if it was freezing at the same rate
as flowing, essentially...

I'm convinced it isn't anyways even close to full of water (or ice)
whether anyone else is or not...

I guess we'll know in the spring, or summer, or next fall, or?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 7:18?pm, "Twayne"

wrote:
[...]

A lot; and you'd be able to see it even in those
shots. Broken glass, fixtures pushed around,
non-straight viny siding, all sorts of stuff.
Water expands when it freezes - no sign of
confined expansion anywhere in those pics. My
vote goes for a phoney set of pics.

Cheers,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 10:17 pm, "

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, just the cost of replumbing, furnace, water
heater & other equipment failures could pretty
easily eat that up even in a moderately priced
home. I would imagine a basement fill with water
& frozen would break open the foundation; it's
gotta go somewhere when it expands. Depends on
what the freezing sequence is I guess; top down or
bottom up, mixes of the two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope, they hold a lien in the amount of the remaining mortgage.
The owner of record remains the owner till an ownership transfer.

On Jan 18, 12:27*pm, Jimw wrote:

Lets see, if it's foreclosed, then the bank owns it. I guess bankers
dont know about valves, providing heat in cold weather, and things
like that.....

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 7:46*am, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 05:00:50 -0600, Jimw wrote:
[...]

When they get it all cleaned up, they will discover that it wasn't a
pipe that broke. Someone broke in and stole the plumbing to sell *as
scrap.- Hide quoted text -

re "Someone broke in and stole the plumbing to sell as scrap."

Huh? While the water was on? Or did someone steal the plumbing and
then turn the water back on?

Please explain how this "someone stole the plumbing and the house
filled with water" thing would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Please explain how this "someone stole the plumbing and the house
filled with water" thing would work.

Turn off water main. Cut copper tubing and steal as much as you can get.
Just to be a prick, turn the water back on a bit and let it spill out and
freeze. Many empty houses have the copper stolen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

re "Someone broke in and stole the plumbing to sell as scrap."

Huh? While the water was on? Or did someone steal the plumbing and
then turn the water back on?

Please explain how this "someone stole the plumbing and the house
filled with water" thing would work.

The pipes were frozen - then they thawed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 10:22*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

re "Someone broke in and stole the plumbing to sell as scrap."

Huh? While the water was on? Or did someone steal the plumbing and
then turn the water back on?

Please explain how this "someone stole the plumbing and the house
filled with water" thing would work.

The pipes were frozen - then they thawed?

So they so stole pipes that were filled with ice? Possible...

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

re "Someone broke in and stole the plumbing to sell as scrap."

Huh? While the water was on? Or did someone steal the plumbing and
then turn the water back on?

Please explain how this "someone stole the plumbing and the house
filled with water" thing would work.

The pipes were frozen - then they thawed?

So they so stole pipes that were filled with ice? Possible...

The home we live in had been a rental years ago.

a tenant fail;ed to pay rent for months, so landlord evicted him.

tenant left in middle of nite turned bath watyer on, closed tub drain:
(

Brought down nearly all cielings, warped hardwood floors. neighbor
noticed water coming out of garage running down street.

such things do happen. although this occured here in the 60s and was
largely fixed traces still exist today

Primarily in minor marks where cielings were patched. water ruined
furnace too.

I knew the landlord, who died years ago
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 10:21 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Please explain how this "someone stole the plumbing and the house
filled with water" thing would work.

Turn off water main. Cut copper tubing and steal as much as you can get.
Just to be a prick, turn the water back on a bit and let it spill out and
freeze. Many empty houses have the copper stolen.

"Many empty houses have the copper stolen.

That wasn't the point I was questioning.

"Just to be a prick, turn the water back on a bit..."

Gimme a break. No wait, gimme a cite.

Try reading a newspaper. Don't take my word, look for your own damned cite.