Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fans- up or down

I have a small log home. The main floor is one large room (22 X 30)
with an 18 foot cathedral ceiling. There are two fans- up high. I am
supplementing the baseboard (oil) heat with two electric radiators (I
pre-bought my oil at $4.779 last July). At present the fans are set to
"blow" down. Because of their height it is not easy to reverse them.
Would "blowing" up give me better heat distribution?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

my ceiling is 9 foot.i blow up in the winter,down in the summer..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
my ceiling is 9 foot.i blow up in the winter,down in the summer..

agreed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 2:08*pm, "Ulysses" wrote:
wrote in message

* * * my ceiling is 9 foot.i blow up in the winter,down in the summer..

agreed

http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm- Hide quoted text -

...seems either way would circulate, but you probably dont want the
'wind chill' in the winter, but a breeze is nice in the summer... thus
probably the down in summer, up in winter approach..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 11:26*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I have a small log home. *The main floor is one large room (22 X 30)
with an 18 foot cathedral ceiling. *There are two fans- up high. *I am
supplementing the baseboard (oil) heat with two electric radiators (I
pre-bought my oil at $4.779 last July). *At present the fans are set to
"blow" down. *Because of their height it is not easy to reverse them.
Would "blowing" up give me better heat distribution?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

"Up" in the winter draws air into the fan from below, spreads it
across the ceiling and down along the walls. This is what you want
since you'll feel less of a breeze.

In the summer, any air movement - even the warm air from the ceiling -
will cool you, so you want the direct breeze from the "downward" force.