Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gutter repair

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

If your wife would object to duct tape or an epoxy patch, get a piece of
sheet copper large enough to cover the damaged area, smooth out the area
around the hole, form the copper sheet to the pipe and sweat it on to cover
the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 6:32*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
My house has copper gutters. *They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. *The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

How big a hole, not big clear silicone, big a piece of copper, how did
you get a hole in the vertical section
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:32:17 -0500, "badgolferman"
wrote:

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Without seeing the hole, I'd say use JB Weld on a small hole, or
solder on a piece of sheet copper if hole is big. How did the hole
get there? Large bird with sharp beak?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in
it that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Without seeing the hole, I'd say use JB Weld on a small hole, or
solder on a piece of sheet copper if hole is big. How did the hole
get there? Large bird with sharp beak?

Don't really know. Bought the house in July and it was there then.
It's about a quarter in diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in
it that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Without seeing the hole, I'd say use JB Weld on a small hole, or
solder on a piece of sheet copper if hole is big. How did the hole
get there? Large bird with sharp beak?

Don't really know. Bought the house in July and it was there then.
It's about a quarter in diameter.

Bullet hole? How's the neighborhood? Reputation of the previous owner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My house has copper gutters. *They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. *The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Around here copper gutters are stolen every day, I dont know if you
have that issue but if you do secure it better, a hole the size of a
quarter, you could go to the trouble if its visable of getting copper
sheet, I think muriatic acid will get it to green faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in
it that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Without seeing the hole, I'd say use JB Weld on a small hole, or
solder on a piece of sheet copper if hole is big. How did the hole
get there? Large bird with sharp beak?

Don't really know. Bought the house in July and it was there then.
It's about a quarter in diameter.

For a 1/4" hole, I'd just use JB Weld and put a copper penny over the
hole. JB Weld is strong stuff and the penny will match. If the
gutter is still on the house, use Quick Dry JB Weld and hold the penny
on with some duct tape till it drys. Or you could solder the penny on
if you're handy and have a large soldering iron and lots of flux.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My house has copper gutters. *They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. *The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole
in it that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Around here copper gutters are stolen every day, I dont know if you
have that issue but if you do secure it better, a hole the size of a
quarter, you could go to the trouble if its visable of getting copper
sheet, I think muriatic acid will get it to green faster.

I don't live in that kind of neighborhood. Most people around here
still don't lock their doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

[...]

And if you don't like the looks after repairing it, possibly you could
disconnect the pipe and rotate it so that the patch faces the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

[...]

If you use an OLD penny. (pre-copper clad zinc...)

I'd still probably buy a small piece of sheet copper. If nothing else
the scraps can be used to back up welds in sheetmetal so you don't
blow through/put a big glob on the back of your panel.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 7:32*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
My house has copper gutters. *They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. *The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Solder a scrap of copper flashing over the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it
that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Solder works very well on brightly-cleaned copper. You can use a
couple pop rivets to hold the patch in place.