Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default gutter repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:00:38 -0500, "badgolferman"
wrote:

Jimw wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:32:17 -0500, "badgolferman"
wrote:

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are
obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The
vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in
it that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Without seeing the hole, I'd say use JB Weld on a small hole, or
solder on a piece of sheet copper if hole is big. How did the hole
get there? Large bird with sharp beak?

Don't really know. Bought the house in July and it was there then.
It's about a quarter in diameter.

For a 1/4" hole, I'd just use JB Weld and put a copper penny over the
hole. JB Weld is strong stuff and the penny will match. If the
gutter is still on the house, use Quick Dry JB Weld and hold the penny
on with some duct tape till it drys. Or you could solder the penny on
if you're handy and have a large soldering iron and lots of flux.

And if you don't like the looks after repairing it, possibly you could
disconnect the pipe and rotate it so that the patch faces the wall.