Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inclinator question

My ex-wife is on total disability and is essentially trapped in her finished
basement. (Her arthritic 87 year old Mom lives upstairs and can't handle the
stairs either.) She can't handle the stairs without risking a fall. I did some
research on Inclinator and some other brands, and the prices aren't out of the
question for her, but apparently they are only sold direct via the
manufacturers. At least, there are no dealers here in Salt Lake City.

If she were to buy one of these, what kind of craftsman would you look for to
install it, since there's mechanical installation as well as wiring? What would
you think would be a reasonable charge?

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 7:31*pm, Bob Landry wrote:
My ex-wife is on total disability and is essentially trapped in her finished
basement. (Her arthritic 87 year old Mom lives upstairs and can't handle the
stairs either.) She can't handle the stairs without risking a fall. I did some
research on Inclinator and some other brands, and the prices aren't out of the
question for her, but apparently they are only sold direct via the
manufacturers. At least, there are no dealers here in Salt Lake City.

If she were to buy one of these, what kind of craftsman would you look for to
install it, since there's mechanical installation as well as wiring? What would
you think would be a reasonable charge?

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!

My folks have 2 if you mean chair lifts. Im sure there are dealers in
your area of different brands. We went battery power, consider used, a
factory install. I calculated once that these are so well made that
theirs has gone maybe 20 miles. it goes 30 ft with a curved staircase.
These need no craftsmans to install, just big bolts secured real well
and to studs, I have taken one in and out to get a boiler down the
basement in about 10 minutes. Getting the chair on I have never done.
The 120v units have a power cord to wear out since it coils up. The
only thing they have needed is a drive belt and batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 8:31*pm, Bob Landry wrote:
My ex-wife is on total disability and is essentially trapped in her finished
basement. (Her arthritic 87 year old Mom lives upstairs and can't handle the
stairs either.) She can't handle the stairs without risking a fall. I did some
research on Inclinator and some other brands, and the prices aren't out of the
question for her, but apparently they are only sold direct via the
manufacturers. At least, there are no dealers here in Salt Lake City.

If she were to buy one of these, what kind of craftsman would you look for to
install it, since there's mechanical installation as well as wiring? What would
you think would be a reasonable charge?

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!

I would look for used on Craigslist or other site. Not to be cold but
as you said the ex-MIL is 87, how long do people who get these
installed need them.

I remember as a kid my Grandmother having one and IIRC it was just
screwed to the wall and plugged in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:20:13 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

[...]

Wasn't clear, I guess, it's not for the ex-MIL but for the ex-wife who is only
53.
Couple of good answers, hadn't thought of used/craigslist. Thanks!

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Landry wrote:
My ex-wife is on total disability and is essentially trapped in her finished
basement. (Her arthritic 87 year old Mom lives upstairs and can't handle the
stairs either.) She can't handle the stairs without risking a fall. I did some
research on Inclinator and some other brands, and the prices aren't out of the
question for her, but apparently they are only sold direct via the
manufacturers. At least, there are no dealers here in Salt Lake City.

If she were to buy one of these, what kind of craftsman would you look for to
install it, since there's mechanical installation as well as wiring? What would
you think would be a reasonable charge?

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!

I installed one for the parents of a friend several
years ago and repaired it this summer after a bozo
replaced the battery in it and broke it. The unit
they bought was manufactured in England and works
well. It was simple to install so anyone with good
handyman skills can install one. Their unit runs on
a battery that recharges automatically when it parks
at the top or bottom of the stairs. The only wiring
involved was the low voltage pair inside the track
tube and hooking up a low voltage wall wart (plug in
transformer). The chair also has an infrared remote
control that can be used to call the chair from
either end of the stairs. Here's a link:

http://usa.acornstairlifts.com/index.php

TDD