Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weil McLain v. Peerless Steam Boiler

-------------------------------------

Need to replace my steam boiler. I have narrowed my quotes to two; one
for a Weil Mclain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. Is
the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 7:54*pm, (bcoate)
wrote:
-------------------------------------

Need to replace my steam boiler. *I have narrowed my quotes to two; one
for a Weil Mclain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. *Is
the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

www.heatinghelp.com is where the steam pros are. alt.hvac is where
the hacks are at. One thing I have found is buy Holohans books, most
steam pros are long dead and mistakes are way to common with steam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bcoate" wrote in message
om...

-------------------------------------

Need to replace my steam boiler. I have narrowed my quotes to two; one
for a Weil Mclain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. Is
the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Models numbers? Features? Ratings? Gas or oil fired? Is this a
residential application? Is the Peerless the Series 63? Is the Weil the EG
series?

I've used the W-M boilers and have found them virtually trouble free. I
don't know about the Peerless personally but they do have a pretty good
reputation also.

Is the quote from the same installer or different? The quality of the
install and the workmanship and trim as just as important. Be sure they
include the removal of the old unit, new piping where needed, etc. Check
the warranty. I know that Weil McLain offers an extended warranty with full
coverage, but I don't know the cost.

If you do need service, are either of these guys available 24/7? Are they
familiar with steam setups?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bcoate" wrote in message
om...

-------------------------------------

Need to replace my steam boiler. I have narrowed my quotes to two; one
for a Weil Mclain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. Is
the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Both are good boilers. If you're comparing apples to apples regarding the
models of each boiler, I'd go with the less expensive

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:10*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"bcoate" wrote in message

om...

-------------------------------------

Need to replace my steam boiler. *I have narrowed my quotes to two; one
for a Weil Mclain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. *Is
the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Both are good boilers. If you're comparing apples to apples regarding the
models of each boiler, I'd go with the less expensive

I've had 3 WM steam boilers in my lifetime, they are workhorses. I
honestly never had a Peerless so I can't comment

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 10:10 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"bcoate" wrote in message

om...

Need to replace my steam boiler. I have narrowed my quotes to two; one
for a Weil Mclain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. Is
the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Both are good boilers. If you're comparing apples to apples regarding the
models of each boiler, I'd go with the less expensive

I've had 3 WM steam boilers in my lifetime, they are workhorses. I
honestly never had a Peerless so I can't comment

Kinda like a WM that's green