Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New weil Mclain steam boiler not producing pressure

On Nov 17, 10:53*pm, (howie01) wrote:
I have a problem. My new New weil Mclain steam boiler is not producing
pressure, or very minimal. My old boiler was a burnham (went after only 9
yrs but not covered since I wasn't the original owner!)and was around
217,000 BTU;s. Local utility and another plumber said I didn't need that
mucj. Got a Weil McLAin EC-50 which is 175,000 BTU. Running VERY often. I
can get new burner assembly (which I think is cheap) to go from 7 to 8
burners and bring me up to 200,000 BTU. What else could be the problem?
Some people say to fluch lines??? HELP!!!!

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

New boiler, call the installer for his opinion. What is pressure,
possibly only 14oz is needed if installed and sized right, old boiler
may have had to high a pressure cut off, it heats your home, right.

"They said" you didn`t need as big a boiler, only a written load
calculation says what you really need and steam is sized differently
than water heat I have been told. With steam you dont "guess" on most
issues like you can with other types of heat.

There are alot of idiot steam men out there even me a steam boiler
owner. My pros have had my steam boiler set to 3-5lb for 50 yrs when
I recently found out 14oz is more efficent and easier on the boiler.

www.heatinghelp.com is where you should post for real decent, steam
pros. Alt Hvac is the "drunken hack, we insult you, show".

There are books written by the owner of the heating help.com site I
have heard are the best for understanding steam completely. Im just
guesing here, but cycling often, could be your thermostat set for
minimal temp swing, to low a cut off pressure if it still calls for
heat when it shuts down, a minor or another major issue. Is it still
calling for heat when it turns off, maybe pressure gauge is bad, what
pressure does it shut off at.

After having a steam boiler for years, I have just found out I know
nothing about it and my techs don`t know what they should either, they
know how to fix them but not set them up for efficency andf proper
heat. My neighbor just had a steam boiler replaced 4 weeks ago and
said it is filling when firing then is way to high when shut off, he
said he owes $5000, and it might take near that to install pumps and a
tank, or whatever, to fix the issue of a poor instal, and he got the
best guy he could find here in Chicago.

My boiler pro had to double the expansion tank size on a HW boiler
that overpressured when hot, on his instal, he ate that cost, but only
because I owed him money from a different repair job and he has done
hundreds of instals and knows his stuff. Go post at heatinghelp, and
get a book.