Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weil Mclain Boiler Rumbles

I had my boiler replaced a little over 1 year ago. Ran great for 1
year. It is the Weil Mclain Gold Boiler Forced Hot Water By Oil.
I had it cleaned and serviced recently for the first time. The boiler
wasn't paricularly dirty afer one year
The original nozzle that came wih the boiler was a 1.25 gal/hr.
The technician replaced it with a 1.00 gal per hour.
I notice that the furnace rumbles when it starts up.
I had the tech come back and he replaced the nozzle with a different
style but still a 1 gal per hour. It runs better but still rumbles not
as bad as before.
Anyone have a clue about what may be wrong?
Maybe he should go back to 1.25 gal/hour?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I had my boiler replaced a little over 1 year ago. Ran great for 1
year. It is the Weil Mclain Gold Boiler Forced Hot Water By Oil.
I had it cleaned and serviced recently for the first time. The boiler
wasn't paricularly dirty afer one year
The original nozzle that came wih the boiler was a 1.25 gal/hr.
The technician replaced it with a 1.00 gal per hour.
I notice that the furnace rumbles when it starts up.
I had the tech come back and he replaced the nozzle with a different
style but still a 1 gal per hour. It runs better but still rumbles not
as bad as before.
Anyone have a clue about what may be wrong?
Maybe he should go back to 1.25 gal/hour?

What did the technician say when you asked him why he installed a smaller
nozzle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I had my boiler replaced a little over 1 year ago. Ran great for 1
year. It is the Weil Mclain Gold Boiler Forced Hot Water By Oil.
I had it cleaned and serviced recently for the first time. The boiler
wasn't paricularly dirty afer one year
The original nozzle that came wih the boiler was a 1.25 gal/hr.
The technician replaced it with a 1.00 gal per hour.
I notice that the furnace rumbles when it starts up.
I had the tech come back and he replaced the nozzle with a different
style but still a 1 gal per hour. It runs better but still rumbles not
as bad as before.
Anyone have a clue about what may be wrong?
Maybe he should go back to 1.25 gal/hour?

Could be it needs the 1.25 nozzle. Get him back to do the job right. The
rumble is often cause by an improper mixture. There is a reason the factory
set it up with a given size. I'd find a new service company if they can't
get it right the next trip out. Talk to the owner of the service company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 10:37 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"mstrspy" wrote in message

[...]

Was he just trying to sell you a different nozzel, why did he change
it to a different one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He put in a smaller nozzle for two reasons:
(1) To cut down on fue consumption
(2) He felt that the burner was runig too hot because the paint
blistered off of the site window cover.

Not sure if this is valid, but I don't like the rumbling. I'm
concerend about damage to th combustion chamber due to rumbling.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure what the shape of the original nozzle was. (hollow or
solid) He discarded the original nozzle.

Bear in mind, the tech that serviced this is the guy who installed the
boiler. I would have thought that he would know wat nozzle shape to
use.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:03:54 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:39:31 +0000, mstrspy wrote:

He put in a smaller nozzle for two reasons:
(1) To cut down on fue consumption
(2) He felt that the burner was runig too hot because the paint
blistered off of the site window cover.

Not sure if this is valid, but I don't like the rumbling. I'm
concerend about damage to th combustion chamber due to rumbling.

Make sure the replacement nozzle will spray the oil in the same shape as
the original factory equipped nozzle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mstrspy" wrote in message
He put in a smaller nozzle for two reasons:
(1) To cut down on fue consumption
(2) He felt that the burner was runig too hot because the paint
blistered off of the site window cover.

Not sure if this is valid, but I don't like the rumbling. I'm
concerend about damage to th combustion chamber due to rumbling.

First of all, if it is burning efficiently, it won't save fuel. It will just
run longer with a smaller flame to put out the same amount of heat. As long
as that heat is getting to the water in the boiler and not up the stack, it
is OK. What does the factory recommend? More important that nozzle size is
the proper air/fuel ratio. It sounds like he screwed it up.

New units often have paint on places that may get singed. The sight glass
is going to bet hooter than the insulated places around it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think your right, He probably did screw it up. I think I'm going to
fire this guy. I usually have to call him several times before he
comes out. Not very reliable. Meanwhile, I hope that my boiler isn't
getting ruined. By the way, last year I aved an estimate of about 400
gallons of oil with this new system.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:15:14 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mstrspy" wrote in message
.. .
He put in a smaller nozzle for two reasons:
(1) To cut down on fue consumption
(2) He felt that the burner was runig too hot because the paint
blistered off of the site window cover.

Not sure if this is valid, but I don't like the rumbling. I'm
concerend about damage to th combustion chamber due to rumbling.

First of all, if it is burning efficiently, it won't save fuel. It will just
run longer with a smaller flame to put out the same amount of heat. As long
as that heat is getting to the water in the boiler and not up the stack, it
is OK. What does the factory recommend? More important that nozzle size is
the proper air/fuel ratio. It sounds like he screwed it up.

New units often have paint on places that may get singed. The sight glass
is going to bet hooter than the insulated places around it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oilheat987 had written this in response to
http://thestuccocompany.com/maintena...es-254406-.htm
:

wrote:

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I had my boiler replaced a little over 1 year ago. Ran great for 1
year. It is the Weil Mclain Gold Boiler Forced Hot Water By Oil.
I had it cleaned and serviced recently for the first time. The
boiler
wasn't paricularly dirty afer one year
The original nozzle that came wih the boiler was a 1.25 gal/hr.
The technician replaced it with a 1.00 gal per hour.
I notice that the furnace rumbles when it starts up.
I had the tech come back and he replaced the nozzle with a
different
style but still a 1 gal per hour. It runs better but still rumbles
not
as bad as before.
Anyone have a clue about what may be wrong?
Maybe he should go back to 1.25 gal/hour?

Hopefully after a couple years this has been fixed. Having been in the

business for 30 years, it's a rather simple problem you have although it's
probably scary as hell when it does start.

First, more than likely the rumble comes from what we called a "delayed
ignition." What this means is that when the burner starts, it's pumping
oil into the chamber without immediately igniting. Once enough oil is
pumped into the chamber, you'll have lots of vapor there and it finally
ignites creating the rumble. The key to figuring this out is once it's
running for about a minute, it's running normal. Another indicator is that
if the boiler has not started for a few hours, it starts with a rumble.
Since it was just serviced, I tend to side with this decision. If you had
called for a service call to begin with because of the rumbling, there
would be other areas of concern to be looking at. What happened is the
serviceman (not a tech because if he was, this wouldn't have happened)did
not adjust or set the electrodes properly.

Second. "Downsizing" the nozzle isn't always a bad thing. The boiler
was shipped with the 1.25 which is the maximum firing rate for that
particular matter. There are variables to consider when changing any
nozzle size on a burner. Is the burner capable of handling a different
nozzle? How many BTU's do you really need to heat the home? What is the
minimum firing rate of the boiler? Etc, etc, etc. Generally speaking if
it's a Weil Mclain with a Beckett burner, it can be downsized to the 1.00
nozzle. Downsizing the nozzle can actually be beneficial because it's
better that the boiler run a little longer to deliver the heat needed vs.
what we call "short cycle."

Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/