Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ace Hardware

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and
possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and
possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they in
any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would violate
electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and not everyone
lives in areas with codes either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:30:35 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a house
outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they
in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?

Posted to alt.home.repair

well any male to male connection is immoral, but i dont' really think it's
applicable in electrical cords.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Pete C. wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they
in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?

A bit of a stretch (unless you are a lawyer) if you put one in a cord and
later someone gets hurt, are you morally responsible for their injury or
death?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 6:17�pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-people-asking....

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they
in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?

A bit of a stretch (unless you are a lawyer) if you put one in a cord and
later someone gets hurt, are you morally responsible for their injury or
death?- Hide quoted text -

yes you are, and likely criminally liable too

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they
in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Uhh, there is no such thing as an area without codes in the US. NEC
reigns supreme.
If the code says they can't be used, they are illegal to use. Insurance
companies have other terms for such stupidity.
They are considered a "fire hazard" unless they have passed UL/CSA/CE
or some other responsible agency tests, and no agency will authorize
such a device.
Etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And not allowed in North America or Canada and most parts of Europe.
Also, it's nowhere near as easy as flipping a switch on a Transfer
Swith. Make a misake with a live plug in the dark and you may be done
plugging; forever.
Using a house outlet for more than its rated current, such as a
generator would place on it, is also a serious fire hazard just waiting
for an oppourunity. And since gensets have two 110 outputs, have fun if
ou even plug them into outlets on the same breaker - you'll lose your
genset and probably some wiring with it, if you're lucky.

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are
they in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around
in the dark with a male plug in hand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2009 12:28 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and
possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

Naive question: does anyone even make those evil things? (I mean
commercially, not homemade.)

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around
in the dark with a male plug in hand?

I do that more often than is probably wise.

If the place I need to plug it would just moan or something, but no, here I
am, wandering from room to room, plug in hand...

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/5/2009 12:28 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

Naive question: does anyone even make those evil things? (I mean
commercially, not homemade.)

Patent Applied For

"A double male electrical connector is provided to connect the female end of
a string of Christmas lights with the female end of an extension cord
suitable for plugging into a wall outlet. The inventive connector is
particularly useful when Christmas lights are wrapped from the wrong
direction so that after wrapping the lights the female end is loose. The
connector includes a conventional conductive cord with a first end and a
second end. The first end has a first male plug and the second end has a
second male plug. Each male plug has a first lead and a second lead for
plugging into a two-prong receptacle. In accordance with the invention there
is no third grounding lead. In an alternative embodiment the connector has a
safety cap on at least one of the male plugs for safety, i.e., when the
connector is not in use. In the preferred embodiment the apparatus includes
a jacket receiving the connector for axially slidable use so that both male
plugs cannot both be simultaneously exposed."

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...23&RS=10798123

Click on "Images" at the bottom to see the item

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and
possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

About a dozen years ago when I was working at Radio Shack (I was a bored
retiree looking for something that would get me out of the house) a woman
came in looking for something like that. She assured me that the guy at Home
Depot said we had them.

It makes me nostalgic. We should have kept some in stock. Next to the boxes
of spots for the spot welder.

We also did not have buckets of steam, ac batteries or left handed monkey
wrenches.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Twayne" wrote:
Uhh, there is no such thing as an area without codes in the US. NEC
reigns supreme.

That is *not* true. The NEC has no force of law unless and until it is adopted
by some jurisdiction as the electrical code for that jurisdiction -- and there
are many rural areas which have not done so.

If the code says they can't be used, they are illegal to use.

Again, not true. The NEC is far from universal adoption.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2009 6:55 PM HeyBub spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/5/2009 12:28 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

Naive question: does anyone even make those evil things? (I mean
commercially, not homemade.)

Patent Applied For

[snip patent synopsis]

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...23&RS=10798123

OK, so someone patented it: still doesn't answer my question. Does
anyone actually *make* the damned things?

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2009 7:09 PM Charlie spake thus:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and
possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

About a dozen years ago when I was working at Radio Shack (I was a bored
retiree looking for something that would get me out of the house) a woman
came in looking for something like that. She assured me that the guy at Home
Depot said we had them.

It makes me nostalgic. We should have kept some in stock. Next to the boxes
of spots for the spot welder.

We also did not have buckets of steam, ac batteries or left handed monkey
wrenches.

But you did keep the round tuits in stock, right?

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:28:40 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and
possible immoral.' "

My grandmother had an extension cord with plugs on both ends, under
the living room table and sofa. I think I got a shock from it once
when I was about 10, when my leg hit it. That was when I noticed it.
I know she didn't make it. Maybe my grandfather did, but I don't know
why. Even at age 10, I thought it strange, but I didn't like to
complain.

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out Linn County kansas. Or cedar county missouri. No permits
required in either of these except for septic systems. So, no permits,
means no inspections. And therefore there is no code enforced in these two
places.

steve

"Twayne" wrote in message

Uhh, there is no such thing as an area without codes in the US. NEC reigns
supreme.
If the code says they can't be used, they are illegal to use. Insurance
companies have other terms for such stupidity.
They are considered a "fire hazard" unless they have passed UL/CSA/CE or
some other responsible agency tests, and no agency will authorize such a
device.
Etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

UHHHH duh, you plug the double in first, then the cord into the generator.

"Twayne" wrote in message

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around in
the dark with a male plug in hand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Does it inclode a Cap for the male plug at the other end?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2009 8:34 PM RobertPatrick spake thus:

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...eople-asking-f
or-double-ended-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

oh, that's very *shocking*.

I think it's simply reVOLTing.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:56:12 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote Re Ace Hardwa

Uhh, there is no such thing as an area without codes in the US. NEC
reigns supreme.

I live in a county that doesn't have "codes". Most of the
municipalities do have codes, but the rural areas do not.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around
in the dark with a male plug in hand?

I do that more often than is probably wise.

If the place I need to plug it would just moan or something, but no, here I
am, wandering from room to room, plug in hand...

Damn, guess you need a better partner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
UHHHH duh, you plug the double in first, then the cord into the generator.

"Twayne" wrote in message

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around in
the dark with a male plug in hand?

And after your kid plays with cord and fries himself, while you are out
hunting for more gas to to top off the generator?

Stuff That Can Kill You (or Others) is no place to take hillbilly
shortcuts. Do it right, or do without. If you can't be bothered to make
a proper hookup, there is always the old standby of cords through the
window, and an old towel to keep the rain from coming in.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Pete C. wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-male-adapters

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.
Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they
in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?

A bit of a stretch (unless you are a lawyer) if you put one in a cord and
later someone gets hurt, are you morally responsible for their injury or
death?

Of course not, it wouldn't be your fault that someone isn't as "smart"
as you are...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

[...]

A condom? I don't think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 3:30*pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a house
outlet in an emergency in the dark.

"Pete C." wrote in message

ster.com...

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they in
any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would violate
electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and not everyone
lives in areas with codes either.- Hide quoted text -

And likely one of the easiest ways to kill someone and do jail time.

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 3:46*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I understand that they are commonly known as "widow makers."

Perce

On 01/05/09 04:30 pm Steve Barker wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a house
outlet in an emergency in the dark.
Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they in
any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would violate
electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and not everyone
lives in areas with codes either.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder why? sarcasm intended

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 5:17*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Pete C. wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Sign in window (with picture)

"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard,
and possible immoral.' "

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-h...-people-asking....

There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.

Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they
in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would
violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and
not everyone lives in areas with codes either.

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?

A bit of a stretch (unless you are a lawyer) if you put one in a cord and
later someone gets hurt, are you morally responsible for their injury or
death?- Hide quoted text -

Yes...and you will be subject to a wrongful death suit that you will
deal with from prision.

Only idiots use them.

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a house
outlet in an emergency in the dark.

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...
Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they in
any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would violate
electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and not everyone
lives in areas with codes either.

It's actually a numb way to do it. You only get half the circuits
energized. If you have a 220 volt outlet on the generator it's a total
waste of time. If you are thinking about it now, you can plan for a
failure by installing a 220 volt adapter and switch over box.

Most people doing a back feed with a suicide cord use a 240V outlet as
the backfeed point, typically a clothes dryer connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around
in the dark with a male plug in hand?

I do that more often than is probably wise.

If the place I need to plug it would just moan or something, but no, here I
am, wandering from room to room, plug in hand...

You need to listen for the faint whisper of: "Is it in yet?"

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling
around in the dark with a male plug in hand?

I do that more often than is probably wise.

If the place I need to plug it would just moan or something, but no,
here I am, wandering from room to room, plug in hand...

You need to listen for the faint whisper of: "Is it in yet?"

Cindy Hamilton

Hmm. That's a new wrinkle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 10:47*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

wrote:

AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a
house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves
from the grid before doing that.

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around
in the dark with a male plug in hand?

I do that more often than is probably wise.

If the place I need to plug it would just moan or something, but no, here I
am, wandering from room to room, plug in hand...

You need to listen for the faint whisper of: "Is it in yet?"

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

If you have to ask...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 22:40:34 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

UHHHH duh, you plug the double in first, then the cord into the generator.

At night during a storm, when you're wet, drunk, half asleep, and
can't find your glasses and the car keys (or that brown fuzzy thing
you can't identify but must be really important).

"Twayne" wrote in message

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around in
the dark with a male plug in hand?