Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fascia board material

Hi everyone,
Working on building a shed. i'm at the roofing stage, i've got 2x4
rafters to which I will be attaching a fascia - what kind of wood
should I use for this? Pressure treated plywood? I would like it to be
paintable.

it should be about 4-4.5 inches wide, and 3/8-3/4in thick.

the other option is that white PVC board they sell at lowes for this
exact thing... only thing is it's kind of expensive.

what should I be using?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 5, 12:24*pm, RedDwarf wrote:
Hi everyone,
Working on building a shed. i'm at the roofing stage, i've got 2x4
rafters to which I will be attaching a fascia - what kind of wood
should I use for this? Pressure treated plywood? I would like it to be
paintable.

it should be about 4-4.5 inches wide, and 3/8-3/4in thick.

the other option is that white PVC board they sell at lowes for this
exact thing... only thing is it's kind of expensive.

what should I be using?

If you were building a house, and the roof is constructed with trusses
(2 x 4) it is accepted practice to use 2 x 6 boards to get good
support for gutters and venting soffits. If this is not a priority for
your shed, use regular 1 x 6 boards. Time can be saved by priming and
painting before installing. If you have a table saw you can rip the
fascia board to the width of the rafter tail if you wish. Common
length of rafter tails will be 12" or more depending on where you want
your rainwater impact to be.
Check out some books on framing at your library for more tips.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 1:49*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response guys, 1x6 should be good I suppose. I just
wasn't sure about using pressure treated or not. I am going to paint
them, so I don't know if they have to be treated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RedDwarf wrote:
Hi everyone,
Working on building a shed. i'm at the roofing stage, i've got 2x4
rafters to which I will be attaching a fascia - what kind of wood
should I use for this? Pressure treated plywood? I would like it to be
paintable.

it should be about 4-4.5 inches wide, and 3/8-3/4in thick.

the other option is that white PVC board they sell at lowes for this
exact thing... only thing is it's kind of expensive.

what should I be using?

At this stage of life, I'd use the fake wood. Some things I don't wanna
do twice. Fascia board, especially if you hang a gutter from it, is
almost always the first board to rot out. (Idiot previous owner of this
place aluminum-skinned the fascia, with no weep holes, and it is rotted
out in several spots. Gotta replace that one of these days...)

If you can't bear to spring for plastic, look for cedar or something.
Pressure-treated 5/4 deck boards would also work. Forget about plywood-
it won't last more than a couple years. Back in the stone age, we used
clear redwood. Worked great and held up well, but would cost a fortune
now, if you could even find it. (I could cry when I think about all the
2 and 3 foot 'scraps' I threw on the burn pile as a wee lad.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 5, 5:41*pm, aemeijers wrote:

At this stage of life, I'd use the fake wood. Some things I don't wanna
do twice.

Just finished doing just that. Pine fascia lasted about 8 years
before it rotted to the point of replacement. Then it was removing &
reinstalling all the gutters to do the work. Not fun. I replaced the
pine with the PVC fake wood so hopefully I won't have to go thru that
again. BTW, the PVC was easy to router a 3/8" groove for the soffit
and easy to install. Our local HD prices for the PVC were cheaper
than Lowes, and even cheaper now that they are having a clearance sale
on it.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:06*pm, Red wrote:
On Jan 5, 5:41*pm, aemeijers wrote:

At this stage of life, I'd use the fake wood. Some things I don't wanna
do twice.

Just finished doing just that. *Pine fascia lasted about 8 years
before it rotted to the point of replacement. *Then it was removing *&
reinstalling all the gutters to do the work. *Not fun. *I replaced the
pine with the PVC fake wood so hopefully I won't have to go thru that
again. *BTW, the PVC was easy to router a 3/8" groove for the soffit
and easy to install. *Our local HD prices for the PVC were cheaper
than Lowes, and even cheaper now that they are having a clearance sale
on it.

Red

Great, thanks to everyone for the input. I may just have to splurge on
the fake stuff... at least I don't have to paint it!

Fitting fascia board & soffits Rick Hughes UK diy 0 October 20th 08 04:25 PM
fascia board HomerS Home Repair 6 March 30th 08 03:17 AM
fascia board for gutter system Chris Home Repair 3 February 4th 08 06:10 PM
repace fascia board on a rendered wall windyboarder UK diy 0 September 13th 06 02:21 PM
What size fascia board? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 29th 05 04:12 PM