Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running a sprinkler line under a sidewalk?

When new sidewalks were put in our area, the contractor extended the
sprinkler system under the sidewalk to cover the swale area. But he
connected that area to just one of the existing zones and there's not
enough oomph to get full pressure all the way to the end. I want to
split the added line and connect part of it to another zone, but to do
that I have to go under the sidewalk. The fill that was used for the
swale area has LOTS of compacted rocks which makes it difficult to
even dig a hole to plant something. How do I get new piping under the
sidewalk?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 10:19�am, wrote:
When new sidewalks were put in our area, the contractor extended the
sprinkler system under the sidewalk to cover the swale area. But he
connected that area to just one of the existing zones and there's not
enough oomph to get full pressure all the way to the end. I want to
split the added line and connect part of it to another zone, but to do
that I have to go under the sidewalk. The fill that was used for the
swale area has LOTS of compacted rocks which makes it difficult to
even dig a hole to plant something. �How do I get new piping under the
sidewalk?

dig hole on either side, use drill bit with extensions to go under
walk. try to not remove more dirt than necessary to avoid sidewalk
cracking
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 10:56�am, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:
How do I get new piping under the sidewalk?

Three choices:

- Use a water drill. (Won't work with lots of rock in the soil).
- Hire a horizontal directional drill (HDD) company (expensive)
- Break one section of the sidewalk, lay the pipe, repour the sidewalk square.
(Labor intensive, but cheap if you provide the labor)

you can dig a hole on either side and use drill bit extensions with
masonary bit to get under side walk
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 2, 10:19*am, wrote:
When new sidewalks were put in our area, the contractor extended the
sprinkler system under the sidewalk to cover the swale area. But he
connected that area to just one of the existing zones and there's not
enough oomph to get full pressure all the way to the end. I want to
split the added line and connect part of it to another zone, but to do
that I have to go under the sidewalk. The fill that was used for the
swale area has LOTS of compacted rocks which makes it difficult to
even dig a hole to plant something. *How do I get new piping under the
sidewalk?

You've gotten good replies to the question you asked, but I have to
ask... why would you need to go under the sidewalk to do this?
couldn't you just find where it connects to the existing zone and dig
there, then take a new run back to your manifold and cap the existing
zone where it tees off under the sidewalk?

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 3:55*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:19*am, wrote:

[...]

I have used a garden hose running full force to tunnel under a
walkway, just be sure to go low inough to avoid whatever gravel is
under the sidewalk (hopefully)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

You remember my posts years ago about lifting up a square and getting
rid of tree roots.

That's a good idea... To the OP's original question, if you cut the crack
joints, you might be able to lift the slab enough to route the pipe
underneath...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 19:45:14 -0700, Robert Neville
wrote:

mm wrote:

You remember my posts years ago about lifting up a square and getting
rid of tree roots.

That's a good idea... To the OP's original question, if you cut the crack
joints, you might be able to lift the slab enough to route the pipe
underneath...

Well, it was/is a good idea, but it was helped along by the sidewalk
contractor, who had one of his guys cut the single square away from
the rest of it (It had cracked on the line at the other end), with his
gasoline powered saw which I think had a diamond-tipped blade.

The sidewalk was about 3 or 4 inches thick, and lifting the single
square was pretty hard. Anything longer would have been very
difficult.

While I'm here, the first time I lifted it up, I got a friend to help
me and a friend to help me put it back. I thought once would be
enough but I hadn't cut out enough root. So I learned to do it alone,
by using 4 or 6-foot 2x4's as levers, lifting it only about 4 inches,
with 4x4x as fulcrums and by rowing the 2x4s like rowing a boat, one
at ttime, I was able to lift the square and move it 4 feet to the side
and rest it on other 4x4s.