Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unclogging Sprinkler Line

wrote:
I'm totally new to sprinkler repair and I recently punctured one of my
pipes while I was digging out a stump. I learned how to fix the line
and did so but now one of the sprinkler heads isn't getting any water.
My house is on the top of a slight hill and the street is maybe 3 feet
lower than my house. The place where I fixed the line is at the top
near the house and the sprinkler head that's not getting any water is
the one at the bottom by the street. All the heads in between are
working fine.

I removed the head and made sure there were no blockages and even tried
running the water with the head removed. Nothing came out of the pipe
so I'm pretty sure there is a blockage in the line somewhere.

Is this something I should try to fix? I can't think of any way of
doing myself other than digging up the piping in between the last
working sprinkler and the clogged one and slicing out portions of the
line until I find the clog. These heads run along a narrow strip of
grass so I think they're all getting water off the same line.

Is there a better way or is it time to call in a professional?

Thanks,
Dave

Usually running the water with the head off will clear the line.

How long of a run is it between the heads? If not too long I would just
dig up the whole line.

There isn't any chance that a root is squeezing off the line along the way?

I might try back flushing. Remove the head and the next head up the
line. Then using a garden hose try pushing water backwards.

Or if you can get at it push a heavy wire backwards in the line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich256 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, those are interesting suggestions. The length between the heads
is around 7 feet. I don't think the roots are squeezing the line just
because it was working a few days ago. I think I'll try the
backflushing idea (at least before I go digging it all up).