Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troubleshooting a small LCD TV

We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. It crapped out yesterday.
We were watching it, and it simply lost power. It can't be turned on
by the button or the remote.

Of course I checked the GFI outlets first, then I measured 120 VAC in
the power cord itself.

Should I bother? Or is it just done for?
Is it worth taking apart and checking fuses?

I don't really want to shell out for a service manual if it's just
plain dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. It crapped out yesterday.
We were watching it, and it simply lost power. It can't be turned on
by the button or the remote.

Of course I checked the GFI outlets first, then I measured 120 VAC in
the power cord itself.

Should I bother? Or is it just done for?
Is it worth taking apart and checking fuses?

depends;
how old is the TV,what level of electronic troubleshooting skills(and
tools) do you have? How much are you willing to spend?

I don't really want to shell out for a service manual if it's just
plain dead.

how old is the TV? It may be electrolytic caps gone bad(ESR).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

how old is the TV? It may be electrolytic caps gone bad(ESR).

I should have mentioned: it's about 4 years old.

As far as my skill, I can do simple troubleshooting with a multimeter,
and I can do basic soldering, replace caps, stuff like that.

I was hoping that over the past 4 years small LCD's would have come
down in price more than they have, but it seems they're still not
"dirt cheap." So if it's a fried power supply, it may be worth
repairing.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. It crapped out yesterday.
We were watching it, and it simply lost power. It can't be turned on
by the button or the remote.

Of course I checked the GFI outlets first, then I measured 120 VAC in
the power cord itself.

Should I bother? Or is it just done for?
Is it worth taking apart and checking fuses?

I don't really want to shell out for a service manual if it's just
plain dead.

I don't think a service manual will tell you much.

If both sound and picture are out, the problem's probably with the power
somewhere.

I'd probably fuss with it an hour or so... it might be as simple as a blown
fuse or fusistor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 10:51*am, wrote:
We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. *It crapped out yesterday.
We were watching it, and it simply lost power. *It can't be turned on
by the button or the remote.

Of course I checked the GFI outlets first, then I measured 120 VAC in
the power cord itself.

Should I bother? *Or is it just done for?
Is it worth taking apart and checking fuses?

I don't really want to shell out for a service manual if it's just
plain dead.

Maybe a fuse inside thats bad, my 25 yr old tv works fine and one new
one I got was bad day 1. Open it up and check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:51:56 -0600, wrote:

We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. It crapped out yesterday.
We were watching it, and it simply lost power. It can't be turned on
by the button or the remote.

Of course I checked the GFI outlets first, then I measured 120 VAC in
the power cord itself.

Should I bother? Or is it just done for?
Is it worth taking apart and checking fuses?

I don't really want to shell out for a service manual if it's just
plain dead.

How old? About 1-3 years?
Open it up and look at the electrolytic capacitors on the power board.
You will likely find some with bulged tops.

Replace all the electrolitic caps with new ones and it will likely
work just fine.
I've done LOTs of monitors with the same problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

how old is the TV? It may be electrolytic caps gone bad(ESR).

I should have mentioned: it's about 4 years old.

As far as my skill, I can do simple troubleshooting with a multimeter,
and I can do basic soldering, replace caps, stuff like that.

I was hoping that over the past 4 years small LCD's would have come
down in price more than they have, but it seems they're still not
"dirt cheap." So if it's a fried power supply, it may be worth
repairing.

Thanks for the quick reply.

well,the electrolytics in your TV may be surface-mount caps.
Those need a bit more skill than thru-hole parts.
Those SM caps don't seem to be lasting as long as the thru-hole style
aluminum electrolytics used in older stuff.

It's probably some bad caps in the switcher power supply,preventing it from
starting.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik