Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troubleshooting A/C

All,

Just wondering if someone out there could toss me a few ideas as to
what might be up with our air conditioning system.

We have a 3 thermostat home (a zoned system). The master bedroom is
always getting colder than the other rooms. Our electric bills have
been in the 500 hundred dollar range so this problem is starting to
hurt our wallet. I recently replaced the thermostat in our master room
and that has not helped at all. The master bedroom still gets real cold
(even when I have turned that thermostat off). So, I turned off all
the thermostats in the house and it got hot. So then what I did was
went upstairs and turned on only that thermostat - my master bedroom is
cold again.

So, what could the problem be? My wife and I are clueless but our
theory was that since we only have 1 physical a/c unit outside there
has to be a distribution center upstairs that divides where air is
going to the 3 different zones in our home. Maybe one of the doors is
stuck open. So, when the upstairs is cooling, its not only cooling off
that room (which is natually hotter since its an upstairs type bonus
room) as opposed to our master bedroom which is on the first floor.
Does our theory make any sense? Please help

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

So, what could the problem be? My wife and I are clueless but our
theory was that since we only have 1 physical a/c unit outside there
has to be a distribution center upstairs that divides where air is
going to the 3 different zones in our home.

Well, you probably have motorized dampers that control where the air
goes, and it sounds like one of these may have failed. But, I can't
see it from here, so it would be a good idea to get a competent AC
tech to come out and diagnose/fix the issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the post. I will do as you say.

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Window A/C. I bought one - for just the bedroom - two years ago at Walmart.
My AC bill dropped from $240/month to $70. Why cool the whole (or a large
part) of the house for eight hours while you sleep?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Window units or ductless split systems work well to save bigtime on
cooling costs!
I have a Half-Ton room A/C that cools over 900-sq.ft. in +104 Heat
Indices! - udarrell
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...l_systems.html

HeyBub wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Window shakers can be noisy. That's my complaint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeatMan" writes:

Window shakers can be noisy. That's my complaint.

They also are not terribly appealing aethetics wise.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, makes perfect sense. Time to call an AC service company.

Also, dirty coils on the outside unit can drive up your electric bill.
Please ask to have the condensor cleaned.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...