Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are there NEC restrictions on circuit location?

Happy Holidays!

What does the NEC say about running a circuit from a single breaker to
"unrelated" locations of a house?

For example, let's say I want to add a receptacle in the 1st floor
family room. Let's say the feed to a 2nd floor bedroom runs along the
basement ceiling right below where I want to add the receptacle. Is
there anything in the NEC that says I can't tap into the 2nd floor
circuit to add an outlet in a 1st floor room?

This is really just a curiosity thing, not something I have a need to
do. I'm just wondering if it's OK to run a circuit from one breaker to
all sorts of different locations in a house.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Happy Holidays!

What does the NEC say about running a circuit from a single breaker to
"unrelated" locations of a house?

For example, let's say I want to add a receptacle in the 1st floor
family room. Let's say the feed to a 2nd floor bedroom runs along the
basement ceiling right below where I want to add the receptacle. Is
there anything in the NEC that says I can't tap into the 2nd floor
circuit to add an outlet in a 1st floor room?

This is really just a curiosity thing, not something I have a need to
do. I'm just wondering if it's OK to run a circuit from one breaker to
all sorts of different locations in a house.

Thanks!

The answer depends upon the particular circuit, where it's going to and
doing currently, and where you want to locate it and for what purpose. For
example, you can't tap into a kitchen counter outlet circuit, or a dedicated
bathroom outlet circuit, for an outlet in a bedroom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21*am, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

bathroom outlet circuit, for an outlet in a bedroom- Hide quoted text -

So, assuming it's not a circuit that needs to be dedicated by code,
it's OK for it to run hither and yon throughout the house?

As another example, I have a circuit containing one duplex receptacle
in my 1st floor living room that was dedicated for a computer that no
longer exists. Can I tap into that run and add a duplex receptacle in
my 2nd floor hallway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

*Yes. Although this is permissible by code I would not get too carried away
with spreading outlets all over the house from one existing circuit. I have
been in many older homes where after years of adding outlets and lights
there is no rhyme nor reason as to the circuiting. It gets very confusing
and inconvenient when you need to shut off a bedroom outlet, but it is
connected to the bathroom lights. It is also a PITA when it comes to
identifying circuits and labeling the circuit breaker panel.

I was recently looking at a job and the homeowner was telling me about one
problem he wants corrected. His garage outlet is connected to one kitchen
outlet and one den outlet as a result of an addition being put on to the
house a few years ago. When he is using a power tool and his wife is
cooking the breaker blows and kills the stereo as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

cooking the breaker blows and kills the stereo as well.- Hide quoted text -

Gee thanks for the reminder:

There is one (now unused and not GFI'd) outlet in what is now our
enclosed garage, but was once an outside convenience outlet in our
then open to the world car-port.

Back then (almost 40 years ago) GFIs not heard of!

But that outlet, if memory serves correctly is wired as part of a run
of outlets on the far kitchen wall.

Not used; and next time I have the shelving or movable tool chest away
from the wall of the garage must connect wiring through, remove the
duplex outlet and blank off, probably with a standard metal plate. The
garage btw has it own separate correctly circuit breakered outlets and
again separate lighting from a pony panel for that area of house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

All true.

The advantage of a circuit going to different areas is that the area
then has multiple circuits available. May be useful, for instance, if
you have multiple relatively large loads, like a space heater.

It is easy to wind up with more receptacles than are desirable on a circuit.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

bud--- Hide quoted text -

Its far better to have too many circuits on different breakers. this
home originally had all second floor lights and outlets on one fuse.

poof when wife plugged in hair dryer

lighting circuitsd should be only lights, and multiple circuits.

outlets are better mixed.

so one tripped breaker doesnt leave you in the dark!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

OK, so now that I know that in a generic sense it's ok to have
circuits scattered hither and yon, how about something more specific:

Years ago I ran a circuit from the breaker box to the crawlspace
attic. Currently on this circuit a

- The crawlspace lights (2 fixtures switched in the attic)
- The bathroom exhaust fan
- 1 receptacle in the attic for a cable-TV distribution amplifier
- 1 receptacle in the upstairs hallway, typically used for vacuuming,
etc.

I now want to add a second GFI receptacle in the 2nd floor bathroom.
This GFI will be used for a radio mounted on a shelf. Tapping into the
"new" attic circuit would be a lot easier than tapping into the
original-to-the-house circuit that currently powers the bathroom
lights, the existing GFI outlet and 3 receptacles in the bedroom next
door. In addition, the use of curling irons and blow dryers makes me
shy away from adding anymore receptacles to the existing bathroom
circuit.

Would it be OK to use the attic circuit for the 2nd GFI in the
bathroom?

I'm open to other suggestions for wiring the new GFI except for a
dedicated circuit since I am out of space in the breaker box.

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

* I don't recall any usage distinction for bathroom receptacles. Therefore
as far as I know your additional bathroom GFI receptacle would need to be on
a 20 amp circuit that is dedicated to bathroom use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

a 20 amp circuit that is dedicated to bathroom use.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the NEC would care what I was using
the receptacle for, but I was hoping that regardless of its use, it
wouldn't need to be dedicated. That's going to be a problem.

I don't want to turn a simple Christmas gift for my daughters into a
major electrical upgrade. I'm not about to add a subpanel just so they
can listen to their CDs while they put their makeup on.

Maybe I'll put the receptacle in the hallway and drill a hole through
the wall for the cord. Kidding!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

the wall for the cord. Kidding!- Hide quoted text -

have you considered half width breakers? sounds like your main is
full.

quick easy fix, baths should be 20 amps
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

quick easy fix, baths should be 20 amps- Hide quoted text -

I've used half width breakers in the past, but they always seemed to
fail. I was even told by an electrician that they don't last as long,
but this was many years ago. I eventually replaced them with full
widths, never expecting to fill up the box.

It's a Crouse-Hinds panel. Any suggestions on a decent half width
breaker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Current code requires new bathroom outlets to be on 20 amp circuits, but
nothing prevents you from adding bathroom outlets to existing circuits, and
IMO, it would be safer for you to tap this attic circuit and install a gfci
outlet where you need one, than tripping over the cord, trying to use the
existing outlet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

existing outlet- Hide quoted text -

Don't worry, there's no chance a cord to the existing out will be
used. The girls aren't even getting the radio until I solve the
receptacle issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

* The Crouse-Hinds panel should be able to take a BR type breaker. Siemens
(And Murray) and Cutler-Hammer both make this in a twin style. Read the
label in the panel to see if it is approved for two breakers on one buss.
If the half width breakers that you used in the past had the hook on the
side then I am quite familiar with their failure rate. The BR twins will be
much better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

The ones with the external hooks on them were real garbage, but all of the
new ones Murray (Crouse-Hinds) makes are fine. They do make a few models
though, and not all will fit every panel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

*Roy there are several condo/townhouse housing developments built by the
same builder in NJ. They all have that hook type breaker and I am amazed at
the failure rate. Good for my business though. What is really surprising
is that the panels are approved for other types of breakers yet they chose
to install this type which was hard to find in stock when Crouse-Hinds was
in business. I surmised that they got a fantastic deal as it was around the
time when Crouse-Hinds and Challenger were getting bought out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

These days, it seems all the condo's in Westchester all use QO panels, but
twenty years ago, it seemed like they bought whatever company was in their
death throws, FPE, Zinsco, etc. Those external hook breakers look to me like
they'd get very little contact with the buss, kinda like Murray's version of
Stab-lok

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys! Yep, I recall a hook, so we must be talking about the
same crappy breakers. I'll look into the BR twins.

Damn...now I might have even more wiring to do. There's a few more
circuits that I have always wanted to split but the Central Air I had
installed a few years back used up the last open spots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Murray also makes quad half sized breakers. Its a one piece breaker with 4
poles, and comes in a variety of combinations including two sets of double
pole with amperage of your choice

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

pole with amperage of your choice- Hide quoted text -

Wow! With enough quad breakers I could put every receptacle on it's
own circuit!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:15:55 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Happy Holidays!

What does the NEC say about running a circuit from a single breaker to
"unrelated" locations of a house?

For example, let's say I want to add a receptacle in the 1st floor
family room. Let's say the feed to a 2nd floor bedroom runs along the
basement ceiling right below where I want to add the receptacle. Is
there anything in the NEC that says I can't tap into the 2nd floor
circuit to add an outlet in a 1st floor room?

This is really just a curiosity thing, not something I have a need to
do. I'm just wondering if it's OK to run a circuit from one breaker to
all sorts of different locations in a house.

Thanks!

There are numerous things the NEC says about adding an outlet, but it
is allowable to properly install an electrical outlet in another room
or floor. Don't overload any circuit.