Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are there NEC restrictions on circuit location?

On Dec 29, 4:03�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 29, 3:16�pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

On Dec 29, 7:21 am, "RBM" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Happy Holidays!

What does the NEC say about running a circuit from a single breaker to
"unrelated" locations of a house?

For example, let's say I want to add a receptacle in the 1st floor
family room. Let's say the feed to a 2nd floor bedroom runs along the
basement ceiling right below where I want to add the receptacle. Is
there anything in the NEC that says I can't tap into the 2nd floor
circuit to add an outlet in a 1st floor room?

This is really just a curiosity thing, not something I have a need to
do. I'm just wondering if it's OK to run a circuit from one breaker to
all sorts of different locations in a house.

Thanks!

The answer depends upon the particular circuit, where it's going to and
doing currently, and where you want to locate it and for what purpose.
For
example, you can't tap into a kitchen counter outlet circuit, or a
dedicated
bathroom outlet circuit, for an outlet in a bedroom- Hide quoted text -

So, assuming it's not a circuit that needs to be dedicated by code,
it's OK for it to run hither and yon throughout the house?

As another example, I have a circuit containing one duplex receptacle
in my 1st floor living room that was dedicated for a computer that no
longer exists. Can I tap into that run and add a duplex receptacle in
my 2nd floor hallway?

*Yes. Although this is permissible by code I would not get too carried
away
with spreading outlets all over the house from one existing circuit. I
have
been in many older homes where after years of adding outlets and lights
there is no rhyme nor reason as to the circuiting. It gets very confusing
and inconvenient when you need to shut off a bedroom outlet, but it is
connected to the bathroom lights. It is also a PITA when it comes to
identifying circuits and labeling the circuit breaker panel.

I was recently looking at a job and the homeowner was telling me about one
problem he wants corrected. His garage outlet is connected to one kitchen
outlet and one den outlet as a result of an addition being put on to the
house a few years ago. When he is using a power tool and his wife is
cooking the breaker blows and kills the stereo as well.- Hide quoted
text -

OK, so now that I know that in a generic sense it's ok to have
circuits scattered hither and yon, how about something more specific:

Years ago I ran a circuit from the breaker box to the crawlspace
attic. Currently on this circuit a

- The crawlspace lights (2 fixtures switched in the attic)
- The bathroom exhaust fan
- 1 receptacle in the attic for a cable-TV distribution amplifier
- 1 receptacle in the upstairs hallway, typically used for vacuuming,
etc.

I now want to add a second GFI receptacle in the 2nd floor bathroom.
This GFI will be used for a radio mounted on a shelf. Tapping into the
"new" attic circuit would be a lot easier than tapping into the
original-to-the-house circuit that currently powers the bathroom
lights, the existing GFI outlet and 3 receptacles in the bedroom next
door. In addition, the use of curling irons and blow dryers makes me
shy away from adding anymore receptacles to the existing bathroom
circuit.

Would it be OK to use the attic circuit for the 2nd GFI in the
bathroom?

I'm open to other suggestions for wiring the new GFI except for a
dedicated circuit since I am out of space in the breaker box.

* I don't recall any usage distinction for bathroom receptacles. �Therefore
as far as I know your additional bathroom GFI receptacle would need to be on
a 20 amp circuit that is dedicated to bathroom use.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the NEC would care what I was using
the receptacle for, but I was hoping that regardless of its use, it
wouldn't need to be dedicated. That's going to be a problem.

I don't want to turn a simple Christmas gift for my daughters into a
major electrical upgrade. I'm not about to add a subpanel just so they
can listen to their CDs while they put their makeup on.

Maybe I'll put the receptacle in the hallway and drill a hole through
the wall for the cord. Kidding!- Hide quoted text -

have you considered half width breakers? sounds like your main is
full.

quick easy fix, baths should be 20 amps