Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1.5" deep walls?

Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 12:17*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the possibility of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appreciate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

Aaron-

It depends on the location of the wall and what kind of "traffic /
use" the wall will see.

Walls that hide pocket doors often have studs turned sideways and they
"work" (well kinda, they're pretty flexible when just covered with dry
wall)

I've built a couple "thin walls" but on the inside of the closet
instead of using drywall, I used the cheapest multi-ply plywood (like
Baltic Birch but not the good stuff).....

Thin plywood (only 1/2") and I ran the stiff direction of the plywood
with the "studs". Nailed (16 gage brad nailer or 16 gage staples) the
crap out of it (like 2" o/c) to create a stiff composite member floor
to ceiling. You could glue it as well but that's too "permanent" for
me. If you wanted it really stiff / strong...plywood on both sides.
Skim coat with drywall mud or spray texture on the visible side and it
will look like just like drywall.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

It depends on the location of the wall and what kind of "traffic /
use" the wall will see.

Walls that hide pocket doors often have studs turned sideways and they
"work" (well kinda, they're pretty flexible when just covered with dry
wall)

I've built a couple "thin walls" but on the inside of the closet
instead of using drywall, I used the cheapest multi-ply plywood (like
Baltic Birch but not the good stuff).....

Thin plywood (only 1/2") and I ran the stiff direction of the plywood
with the "studs".

You can get plywood considerable thinner than 1/2", like 1/8" or 3/16" (more
of a veneer than plywood).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 12:17*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

I have two built that way backed up to a common 'normal' wall.
Haven't had any problems. Both have bifold doors.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-12-24, Aaron Fude wrote:

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate
your thoughts.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may need or want electrical
outlets in these walls. If so, a standard single gang box certainly
won't fit.

The solution is to use a 1.5" deep 4" x 4" or 4 9/16" x 4 9/16" square
box (depending on box fill). The square box is covered by a single
gang mud ring of depth equal to the finish layer (e.g. 1/2" drywall).
I'm not sure if these parts are available in plastic, they are
definitely available in metal.

I seem to also remember a specialty "shallow but wide" plastic box
that would work.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:17:34 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

There are 1.5" thick walls in my house where there are pocket doors.
Never had a problem with them. Obviously, the thinner walls are not
as strong, not as insulating, and may require special plumbing/wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 1:27*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
BobK207 wrote:

It depends on the location of the wall and what kind of "traffic /
use" the wall will see.

Walls that hide pocket doors often have studs turned sideways and they
"work" (well kinda, they're pretty flexible when just covered with dry
wall)

I've built a couple "thin walls" but on the inside of the closet
instead of using drywall, I used the cheapest multi-ply plywood (like
Baltic Birch but not the good stuff).....

Thin plywood (only 1/2") and I ran the stiff direction of the plywood
with the "studs".

You can get plywood considerable thinner than 1/2", like 1/8" or 3/16" (more
of a veneer than plywood).

I realize that thinner plywood is a available but the objective is to
achieve composite structural behavior (like an I-beam) .....

Multi-ply plywood at 1/2" is about as thin as you can go and still
have build a wall that has rigid global behavior (bottom plate to top
plate stiffness) AND won't "oil can" locally when someone
pushes on the wall.

Thin veneer type plywood won't adequately span from stud to stud.
If you went down to 1/4" or 3/16" the resulting wall would be
substantially less stiff than even 1/2" drywall.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea, and I'd add that if there'll be a joint in the wall
I'd either run it through the table saw to make it T&G or else buy T&G
plywood in the first place.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

There are 1.5" thick walls in my house where there are pocket doors.
Never had a problem with them. Obviously, the thinner walls are not
as strong, not as insulating, and may require special plumbing/wiring.

Definitely BX or conduit. I can't see how else you could build it to code.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a table saw you could rip 2x4's in half and piut them
perpendicular to the length of the wall. That would probably have less
flexing than using 2x4's sideways. You could also buy 2x2's, but they
cost more that 2x4's. About 10years ago we had a big flood in certain
parts of town, and afterwards I was replacing an a/c and heat system in
one that had gotten about 3 feet of water. They had the drywall removed
4 feet high and I noticed that several interior walls were built just
like you are talkiing about. House was about 30 y/o at the time, so I
guss they never had any problems. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Dec 24, 1:17 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

I recently had to tear out drywall where the studs had been turned
sideways. It had bowed quite a bit into the kitchen from the adjoining
bathroom. We thought it may have been mould. Thankfully not the case.
The wall was built this way on both sides to accomodate the plumbing
from the bath and sink. I clamped and drew the bowed studs back
towards the bath side of the wall and glued/screwed 1/4 inch plywood
gussets everywhere. So my thoughts are; Don't do it. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 3:17*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the poissiblity of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appriate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

There are 1 1/2" steel studs available.