Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default 1.5" deep walls?

On Dec 24, 12:17*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm building closet in an area where every inch counts. I was
wondering about the possibility of turning the 2by's on the their
sides and making 1.5" thick walls. Is that acceptable? I appreciate your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Aaron

Aaron-

It depends on the location of the wall and what kind of "traffic /
use" the wall will see.

Walls that hide pocket doors often have studs turned sideways and they
"work" (well kinda, they're pretty flexible when just covered with dry
wall)

I've built a couple "thin walls" but on the inside of the closet
instead of using drywall, I used the cheapest multi-ply plywood (like
Baltic Birch but not the good stuff).....

Thin plywood (only 1/2") and I ran the stiff direction of the plywood
with the "studs". Nailed (16 gage brad nailer or 16 gage staples) the
crap out of it (like 2" o/c) to create a stiff composite member floor
to ceiling. You could glue it as well but that's too "permanent" for
me. If you wanted it really stiff / strong...plywood on both sides.
Skim coat with drywall mud or spray texture on the visible side and it
will look like just like drywall.

cheers
Bob