Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Please Diagnose Toilet Flapper Problem

About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing. The
rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the flush
handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part of
the mechanism? Thanks
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing. The
rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the flush
handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part of
the mechanism? Thanks

The fix to this is truly trial and error.

Possibilities:
* The seat is covered with water deposits.
Scrub gently with a low-abrasive scotch-brite cloth or steel wool.
Possibly apply vinegar. Don't make scratches in the surface, or you'll
have a permanent leak.
* The seat is damaged.
Replace the seat.
* The flapper is misaligned above the seat.
Align it properly.
* The flapper is damaged or worn.
Replace it.

Start by replacing the flapper. It's less than three dollars most
places, and it takes about 30 seconds.

If the bolts that hold the tank to the base are corroded, get a rebuild
kit and replace the whole works all at once. You'll be set for ten
years or more. If the seat is damaged, this is the way to go.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Restless" wrote in message
About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing. The
rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the flush
handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part of
the mechanism? Thanks

Check pull chain for proper alignment and that it doesn't hang up on
anything. Check flapper for tears/damage, etc.

Flappers are generally about the cheapest/easiest replacement part in the
toilet so next time you're by Home Depot, pick one up and change it out. It
will about two minutes, even if you're all thumbs.

Only exception is that some older OEM flapper assemblies are integral with
the flush valve refill tube and if that's the case, you'd need to replace
the whole flush valve assembly-- a bigger job but still easily doable by the
average DIY guy.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

If this is a new flapper, the most common problem is the chain hanging
into the flush seat.
Shorten the chain (or adjust handle) to where there is a slight amount
of slack when flapper seals.

p_z

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 10:51*am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
If this is a new flapper, the most common problem is the chain hanging
into the flush seat.
Shorten the chain (or adjust handle) to where there is a slight amount
of slack when flapper seals.

p_z

I've never encountered a chain misadjusted so far that it can create a
loop that hangs down far enough to get between the flapper and its seat.

But, I have experienced chains which once in a while manage to get a
link or two "folded over" and snagged which shortens it enough to keep
the flapper from dropping onto the seat.

I've heard a good solution for that kind of "chain kink" problem is to
replace the chain with a piece of nylon fishing line tied off to the
correct length, but I've never bothered trying that.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I have 25 of these buggars in my facility and if you have a bent
handle or twisted handle adjuster...it will happen. Or there can be
just enough slack to hook or catch the flapper from dropping.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote in
:

Restless wrote:
About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing.
The rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the
flush handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part
of the mechanism? Thanks

Prolly the flapper hinge has too much play (worn out) and the flapper
falls all over the place instead of on the hole. Tighten the hinge
with a larger pin or bend the pin struts in a little or replace the
whole thing.

"Prolly"??

Are you out of your teens yet? Have you reached your teens yet?
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 9:16�am, (Restless) wrote:
About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing. �The
rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the flush
handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part of
the mechanism? �Thanks

if the chain is set a little short this can occur, try making it a tad
longer, by moving the hook
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 10:28*am, "SteveBell" wrote:
[...]

I had just replaced my flapper when the same problem started occuring.
It took a while but I found that the flapper was wedging itself on the
bowl fill tube. a tie wrap placed on the fill tube stopped this. At
least part of the problem was people rotating the flush handle too
far.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

nigga rig...

Bubba, you live-up to your name.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote in
:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 07:49:39 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

[...]

A tie wrap on the fill tube in the toilet tank??!! What the hell kinda
nigga rig fool are you JIMMIE? Hey I have a box of bubble gum, rubber
bands and duct tape. You want it??
Bubba

Lignten up Bubba. I've had a heavy duty tie wrap holding an
undercarriage plastic shroud in place oin the car for like 5 years now.
They don't break. They don't loosen and fall out. They don't rust. I had
just put it there temporary on the road when some fasteners fell out.

And we know a top 10 Red Green motto is "It's only temporary...unless it
works.".
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote in
:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 21:03:07 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Bubba wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

Hey, you're the one that got your panties in a bunch beause I used the
word nigga rig. You need to lighten up.

Nope. You need to double check on that.

And just so you know, tie wraps do and will break. Heat and cold
affects them. Sunlight really affects them. Sorry to burst your
bubble.
Bubba

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Restless" wrote in message
About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing. The
rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the flush
handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part of
the mechanism? Thanks

Changed my SIL's the other day. The one I took out had a round blue flat
vinyl washer/seal that had gotten hard over time. Everything was still good
with no scars or dings, just got hard. Changed it with one of the kits, and
it had a rubber (or looks rubber) flapper, and that did it. See if yours is
gotten hard. Trouble is, you gotta pull it to really examine it.

Steve

Fluidmaster flapper toilet valve - need new flapper [email protected] UK diy 4 January 15th 07 05:29 PM
toilet flapper problem RnR Home Repair 5 December 31st 06 09:09 AM
Toilet Flapper john246 Home Repair 1 September 3rd 06 04:37 PM
Yet another toilet / flapper question Arthur Home Repair 5 September 29th 05 03:11 AM
Toilet Flapper barry martin Home Repair 1 December 9th 03 04:25 AM