Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Please Diagnose Toilet Flapper Problem

Bubba wrote in
:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 07:49:39 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Dec 24, 10:28*am, "SteveBell" wrote:
About 50% of the time, the flapper seats properly after flushing.
*The rest of the time, it does not, and it's necessary to tap the
flush handle.

Is this a flapper problem per se, or a problem with some other part
of the mechanism? *Thanks

The fix to this is truly trial and error.

Possibilities:
** The seat is covered with water deposits.
* *Scrub gently with a low-abrasive scotch-brite cloth or steel
wool. Possibly apply vinegar. Don't make scratches in the surface,
or you'll have a permanent leak.
** The seat is damaged.
* *Replace the seat.
** The flapper is misaligned above the seat.
* *Align it properly.
** The flapper is damaged or worn.
* *Replace it.

Start by replacing the flapper. It's less than three dollars most
places, and it takes about 30 seconds.

If the bolts that hold the tank to the base are corroded, get a
rebuild kit and replace the whole works all at once. You'll be set
for ten years or more. If the seat is damaged, this is the way to
go.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I had just replaced my flapper when the same problem started occuring.
It took a while but I found that the flapper was wedging itself on the
bowl fill tube. a tie wrap placed on the fill tube stopped this. At
least part of the problem was people rotating the flush handle too
far.

A tie wrap on the fill tube in the toilet tank??!! What the hell kinda
nigga rig fool are you JIMMIE? Hey I have a box of bubble gum, rubber
bands and duct tape. You want it??
Bubba

Lignten up Bubba. I've had a heavy duty tie wrap holding an
undercarriage plastic shroud in place oin the car for like 5 years now.
They don't break. They don't loosen and fall out. They don't rust. I had
just put it there temporary on the road when some fasteners fell out.

And we know a top 10 Red Green motto is "It's only temporary...unless it
works.".