Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low temperature problems

The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have
encountered two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly
insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

2. Wayne-Dalton idrive garage door opener just buzzes for a few seconds
then stops, even with the door disconnected from the opener.

Comments?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have
encountered two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly
insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

2. Wayne-Dalton idrive garage door opener just buzzes for a few
seconds then stops, even with the door disconnected from the opener.

Comments?

The battery on the snow thrower is not putting out enough voltage - which is
temperature dependent - to throw the pinion. Jump it with a battery charger.

Don't know about the garage door opener, but if you figure it out I'd like
to know. We're in the midst of a cold-snap here in Houston and I might
experience the same thing.

Damn! It's 64°F already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:36:20 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have
encountered two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly
insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

Use an incandescent light to heat it up. Those $5 halogen 200watt
lights are great to 'spot heat'. Hit it a dozen times for a
second- don't overheat it.

Then lube it with a proper lube- lithium is what mine takes.

2. Wayne-Dalton idrive garage door opener just buzzes for a few seconds
then stops, even with the door disconnected from the opener.

My bet would be the electric eye has some crystals on it. Clean well
& see if it helps. [also if your door is set up like mine, if you
press and hold the manual down button [not your remote] it will
over-ride the safety provided by the beam across the bottom of the
door.

Probably not lube on the door-- but if you decide to lube it anyway-
use Garage door Opener lube. Available at your local borg and created
for the conditions of a garage door. [hot/cold/humid/dirty. . . ]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have
encountered two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly
insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

Use an incandescent light to heat it up. Those $5 halogen 200watt
lights are great to 'spot heat'. Hit it a dozen times for a
second- don't overheat it.

Heybub's post reminded me that there are some 12v starters on some
snowblwer. If yours is a battery job, then his scenario is a more
likely place to start.

If it is a plugin deal, then heat it up and lube it.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/08 06:56 pm Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have
encountered two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly
insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

Use an incandescent light to heat it up. Those $5 halogen 200watt
lights are great to 'spot heat'. Hit it a dozen times for a
second- don't overheat it.

Heybub's post reminded me that there are some 12v starters on some
snowblwer. If yours is a battery job, then his scenario is a more
likely place to start.

If it is a plugin deal, then heat it up and lube it.

Yes. Plugs into 120v. I'll try gentle heat -- although in fact the pull
starter has been very easy to use.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:17:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

-snip-
Yes. Plugs into 120v. I'll try gentle heat -- although in fact the pull
starter has been very easy to use.

If you keep them tuned and use multiweight oil a 7HP shouldn't need
the electric start. I don't remember ever using mine. But my 35yr
old 7hp died this month and I replaced it with a 20 year newer 8hp
that my neighbor had salvaged. He believes in straight 30weight oil.
Between the extra hp, the higher compression, and the 30w oil, I have
to really brace myself when I tug on this one.

Too bad that hardly used starter won't reach the flywheel. 120v
starters are $200.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have encountered
two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly
insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

2. Wayne-Dalton idrive garage door opener just buzzes for a few seconds
then stops, even with the door disconnected from the opener.

Comments?

Perce

I have the same starter problem but not every time. Last winter I took it
off. lubricated everything and it worked for a while. This winter, when it
happens I just push in on the starter during the start and it works every
time. I'm sure that there is some wear associated with all of this since my
Ariens was bought in 1977.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MLD" wrote:

-snip-
. I'm sure that there is some wear associated with all of this since my
Ariens was bought in 1977.

Be careful with that old beast. g My Bolens [the same machine] was
new in '76 and the 7hp Tecumseh finally quit this year. I don't
know about its first 20 years, but I know I've never babied it. Change
oil once a year if I remember. . . plugs when it said it needed one.

I was so happy that the 8hp engine fit on it so I didn't have to go
looking for another old tank.

Jim