Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Questions About Drill Bits

I have 2 questions about drill bits.
1. What type of electric drill bit would I use for plaster walls in a
house (specifically to hang window blinds)?
2. I do not have cases for my bits (long story) and I am not very
familiar with the various types. Is there a WEB site that I can visit
that shows diagrams of the various types of bits that would help me
organize them?

Thank you in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 3:03*pm, allanc wrote:
I have 2 questions about drill bits.
1. What type of electric drill bit would I use for plaster walls in a
house (specifically to hang window blinds)?
2. I do not have cases for my bits (long story) and I am not very
familiar with the various types. Is there a WEB site that I can visit
that shows diagrams of the various types of bits that would help me
organize them?

Thank you in advance.

Try he

http://tinyurl.com/84ztv6

then here for wall anchors:

http://tinyurl.com/7m6uuy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message
I have 2 questions about drill bits.
1. What type of electric drill bit would I use for plaster walls in a
house (specifically to hang window blinds)?

Thank you in advance.

I, with 23 years experience doing this, find it cheaper to use a #6 1/2" hex
head screw to penetrate the hard coat and then I just run the regular hex
head into the plaster and lathe. Usually 1 screw will cut through h3-4 holes
before I throw it away. There is also less mess than using a drill bit.

If a bit is your choice you need a masonry bit but not a hammer drill.
After the first 1/8" (or less) the plaster is fairly soft.

Your installation screws need to be at least 1.50" long to hit the lathe.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:03:25 -0800 (PST), allanc
wrote:

I have 2 questions about drill bits.
1. What type of electric drill bit would I use for plaster walls in a
house (specifically to hang window blinds)?

I believe plaster is very effective at dulling bits. That's why I
would use something from my set of 10 that I bought for 69 cents.

2. I do not have cases for my bits (long story) and I am not very
familiar with the various types. Is there a WEB site that I can visit
that shows diagrams of the various types of bits that would help me
organize them?

You could go to Home Depot etc. and look at many types, in 3-D.

Thank you in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

"allanc" wrote in message
I have 2 questions about drill bits.
1. What type of electric drill bit would I use for plaster walls in a
house (specifically to hang window blinds)?

Thank you in advance.

I, with 23 years experience doing this, find it cheaper to use a #6 1/2" hex
head screw to penetrate the hard coat and then I just run the regular hex
head into the plaster and lathe. Usually 1 screw will cut through h3-4 holes
before I throw it away. There is also less mess than using a drill bit.

If a bit is your choice you need a masonry bit but not a hammer drill.
After the first 1/8" (or less) the plaster is fairly soft.

Your installation screws need to be at least 1.50" long to hit the lathe.

Why would he want to hit his lathe with screws?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

Your installation screws need to be at least 1.50" long to hit the
lathe.

Why would he want to hit his lathe with screws?

Because it is easier than using a hollow wall anchor or toggle bolt.

Faux wood blinds are quite heavy. People are always pulling on the cords of
blinds and it isn't much fun when they fall down and hit you in the head.

Just in case you were joking; because it does less damage than a baseball
bat.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

Your installation screws need to be at least 1.50" long to hit the
lathe.

Why would he want to hit his lathe with screws?

Because it is easier than using a hollow wall anchor or toggle bolt.

Faux wood blinds are quite heavy. People are always pulling on the cords of
blinds and it isn't much fun when they fall down and hit you in the head.

Just in case you were joking; because it does less damage than a baseball
bat.

I was just picking on your spelling, compadre. A lathe is a machine
tool. Lath is put behind plaster.

It's common in the English language that for single syllable words, the
vowel is "short" if the word ends in a consonant, and "long" if it ends
with an "e."

con cone
hat hate
sit site
lath lathe

Maybe you were sick that day.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 23:39:14 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

Your installation screws need to be at least 1.50" long to hit the
lathe.

Why would he want to hit his lathe with screws?

Because it is easier than using a hollow wall anchor or toggle bolt.

Faux wood blinds are quite heavy. People are always pulling on the cords of
blinds and it isn't much fun when they fall down and hit you in the head.

Just in case you were joking; because it does less damage than a baseball
bat.

I think he was referring to your spelling of "lath". English, it is
hard language.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 23:39:14 -0500, "Colbyt"

I think he was referring to your spelling of "lath". English, it is
hard language.

Yes it is. Primary and only for me.

The spell checker let me down on this one.

My elementary teachers would be so disappointed.

Colbyt

drill bits Herb and Eneva Home Repair 14 February 22nd 08 01:09 PM
Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM