Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is that devide in my water supply line?

Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 10:57*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That is your water meter!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 11:00�am, Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:57�am, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.

you talking about the meter? with the blue seal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:57 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.

That big ugly thing is the water meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 11:18*am, zxcvbob wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:57 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.

That big ugly thing is the water meter.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that's the device I meant.

If the water meter is on the inside, how does the water company know
how much water I am using?
What's the curly wire going to it?
Is it in good shape or should I replace it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:57 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,
This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:
http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg
I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron
By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.

That big ugly thing is the water meter.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that's the device I meant.

If the water meter is on the inside, how does the water company know
how much water I am using?
What's the curly wire going to it?
Is it in good shape or should I replace it?

Hi,
They read it remotely. In our area meter reader just drive by the house
to read it. I was told in the future it'll be read via sattelite.
Likewise natural gas meter is done same way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Doubtful. Sattelite uplinks are expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
They read it remotely. In our area meter reader just drive by the house
to read it. I was told in the future it'll be read via sattelite.

About a year ago my city's utility office called me to say my water meter
had been running for over 24 consecutive hours, and that I should look for a
leak or other problem. It turned out that my toilet had been running, so
slowly that I couldn't hear it. How's that for service!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote in
:

Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:57 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about
replacing valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what
that area looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that
ugly devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.

That big ugly thing is the water meter.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that's the device I meant.

If the water meter is on the inside, how does the water company know
how much water I am using?
What's the curly wire going to it?

If you look outside around your house you may find a small box with an
"odometer" attached someplace. That's what's at the other end of the
curly wire for reading the meter externally.

Is it in good shape or should I replace it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 20, 9:57*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

There might be a major problem in that installation. The 'device' is a
water meter. Leave it alone. The #4 or whatever, solid copper wire
probably goes to an external ground rod, or should. However, meter
installations are almost always required to have a braided #4 copper
bypass around the water meter to keep the house plumbing grounded if
the meter is removed for service. I don't see anything like that in
your photo. Given your situation, I would buy the clamps and wire and
install it before any electrical inspection might occur. This is code
required almost universally.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

The meter bonding jumper does not go to an outdoor ground rod, and
shouldn't. The metal underground water pipe is part of the grounding
electrode system of the service. Ground rods are an additional part of the
same system and are run independent of the water pipe. The bonding jumper,
which can be #8 copper or larger depending upon the service size, is
protecting anyone that may remove the meter. What is seen in his picture
looks fine and NEC legal

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

I would leave it alone. But there is enough slack in that solid ground
wire to clamp it to the water line on the other side of the meter (leave
the existing connection alone, and do not cut that wire)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I agree it's ugly. On the theory it's something important, you could build a
box to cover it. Or do like architechts do: plant ivy.