Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weather-resistant padlocks?

I have a couple of Master padlocks (the kind with laminated steel
bodies) on outdoor gates. Now that we have had some snow and the temp.
is down several degrees below freezing, I find that they are frozen: I
cannot turn the key without blasting the locks with a heat gun first.
Yes, they were hanging with the keyhole facing down, but perhaps
moisture (melted snow) got in between the shackle and the body and then
froze.

Any recommendations for padlocks that are more weather resistant?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 12:38*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I have a couple of Master padlocks (the kind with laminated steel
bodies) on outdoor gates. Now that we have had some snow and the temp.
is down several degrees below freezing, I find that they are frozen: I
cannot turn the key without blasting the locks with a heat gun first.
Yes, they were hanging with the keyhole facing down, but perhaps
moisture (melted snow) got in between the shackle and the body and then
froze.

Any recommendations for padlocks that are more weather resistant?

Perce

I've seen locks with a leather or rubber flap hanging over the lock to
shield it from the elements. Just attach the flap to post above the
lock and let it hang down.

Or get something like this...

http://www.labsafety.com/search/prod...?dept_id=51113
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:38:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I have a couple of Master padlocks (the kind with laminated steel
bodies) on outdoor gates. Now that we have had some snow and the temp.
is down several degrees below freezing, I find that they are frozen: I
cannot turn the key without blasting the locks with a heat gun first.
Yes, they were hanging with the keyhole facing down, but perhaps
moisture (melted snow) got in between the shackle and the body and then
froze.

Any recommendations for padlocks that are more weather resistant?

Perce

I shoot the lock on my shed with WD40 in the fall, both in the key
hole and the shackle holes. Seems to help keep moisture out. Then I
get one of those hard foam cones they sell to put over outdoor faucets
and put that over the lock. Has worked well for me.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I have a couple of Master padlocks (the kind with laminated steel bodies)
on outdoor gates. Now that we have had some snow and the temp. is down
several degrees below freezing, I find that they are frozen: I cannot turn
the key without blasting the locks with a heat gun first. Yes, they were
hanging with the keyhole facing down, but perhaps moisture (melted snow)
got in between the shackle and the body and then froze.

Any recommendations for padlocks that are more weather resistant?

Perce

master has locks for this purpose. they have a plastic or rubber cover.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...aster+padlocks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lubricating locks. Was: Weather-resistant padlocks?

On 12/05/08 01:17 pm Paul Franklin wrote:

I have a couple of Master padlocks (the kind with laminated steel
bodies) on outdoor gates. Now that we have had some snow and the temp.
is down several degrees below freezing, I find that they are frozen: I
cannot turn the key without blasting the locks with a heat gun first.
Yes, they were hanging with the keyhole facing down, but perhaps
moisture (melted snow) got in between the shackle and the body and then
froze.

Any recommendations for padlocks that are more weather resistant?

I shoot the lock on my shed with WD40 in the fall, both in the key
hole and the shackle holes. Seems to help keep moisture out. Then I
get one of those hard foam cones they sell to put over outdoor faucets
and put that over the lock. Has worked well for me.

I was about to object to your suggestion of using WD40, but I Googled
first. Although Master does suggest *not* using WD40, they warn even
more strongly against using graphite, which I had thought was the only
acceptable lubricant for locks. They suggest light oil on the shackle
and a Teflon-based lubricant for the keyway.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:26:19 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

-snip-

master has locks for this purpose. they have a plastic or rubber cover.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...aster+padlocks

Cool link- I was wondering why you didn't use the Google.com/? . . .
link.

Kudos to @codiferous and friends.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:35:18 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/05/08 01:17 pm Paul Franklin wrote:

I was about to object to your suggestion of using WD40, but I Googled
first. Although Master does suggest *not* using WD40, they warn even
more strongly against using graphite, which I had thought was the only
acceptable lubricant for locks. They suggest light oil on the shackle
and a Teflon-based lubricant for the keyway.

Perce

WD-40 is a poor choice for this. It will build up a sticky gum in
time. It does clean things off OK, but then as it evaporates, it
leaves a new deposit.

Now keeping in mind that the shackle and the actural lock mechanism
are two different things.

The actural lock should be first clean. I suggest the use of a zero
residue cleaner. Then follow that up with either graphite (powder) or
powder mixed with a zero residue carrier, or maybe the Teflon based
products. I have not had enough experience with the Teflon products
to really say.

padlocks Tim Lamb UK diy 10 October 28th 07 10:10 AM
External metal hingles - What is the best weather resistant finish? Cordless Crazy UK diy 3 November 29th 05 01:54 AM
melting brass padlocks mongke Metalworking 4 January 25th 04 09:33 AM
Like Key Padlocks SantaUK UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 09:54 AM