Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Lubricating locks. Was: Weather-resistant padlocks?

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:35:18 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/05/08 01:17 pm Paul Franklin wrote:

I was about to object to your suggestion of using WD40, but I Googled
first. Although Master does suggest *not* using WD40, they warn even
more strongly against using graphite, which I had thought was the only
acceptable lubricant for locks. They suggest light oil on the shackle
and a Teflon-based lubricant for the keyway.

Perce

WD-40 is a poor choice for this. It will build up a sticky gum in
time. It does clean things off OK, but then as it evaporates, it
leaves a new deposit.

Now keeping in mind that the shackle and the actural lock mechanism
are two different things.

The actural lock should be first clean. I suggest the use of a zero
residue cleaner. Then follow that up with either graphite (powder) or
powder mixed with a zero residue carrier, or maybe the Teflon based
products. I have not had enough experience with the Teflon products
to really say.