Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Weather-resistant padlocks?

On Dec 5, 12:38*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I have a couple of Master padlocks (the kind with laminated steel
bodies) on outdoor gates. Now that we have had some snow and the temp.
is down several degrees below freezing, I find that they are frozen: I
cannot turn the key without blasting the locks with a heat gun first.
Yes, they were hanging with the keyhole facing down, but perhaps
moisture (melted snow) got in between the shackle and the body and then
froze.

Any recommendations for padlocks that are more weather resistant?

Perce

I've seen locks with a leather or rubber flap hanging over the lock to
shield it from the elements. Just attach the flap to post above the
lock and let it hang down.

Or get something like this...

http://www.labsafety.com/search/prod...?dept_id=51113