Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing sink drain gasket?

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:04*am, wrote:
Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? *Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.

Thanks.

try google

with search string like this

replacing a kitchen sink drain

hint: that rubber gasket that appear to be leaking is probably not
the root cause

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:04 am, wrote:
Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.

Thanks.

try google

with search string like this

replacing a kitchen sink drain

hint: that rubber gasket that appear to be leaking is probably not
the root cause

cheers
Bob

"Basket Strainer"
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17618/

Expect *lots* of things to go wrong on a job like this!

Often, the big nut on the strainer won't loosen.
Some use a hacksaw to cut the nut; I like to drill
thru the edge of the nut in one place.

Figure on a whole day for the job.

Plan "B":
Dry the parts with a hair dryer; then squirt silicone
sealant into the nut/gasket area.
If it doesn't work, you can still take it apart
for replacement.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can find websites with that information, but what you really need
to know is that the hardest part of this job is removing the retaining
ring from the drain. You can buy special wrenches to fit the large
ring. But the problem is that once you apply torque to the ring, the
whole drain usually starts turning.

If you want to save yourself a LOT of time and aggravation, but a
whole new drain assembly (about $15) and a small container of
plumber's putty. Cut the old ring off with either a hacksaw or dremel
tool with a cutting wheel. Once the ring is off, you can remove the
whole drain assembly. It's not the gasket that's causing your leaking
problem. It's deteriorated plumber's putty around the flange of the
sink.

Remove the old drain. Clean off all the old putty. Apply a generous
bead of new putty. Then follow the directions packaged with the new
drain. Just remember that the cardboard gasket goes on last. It's
there to prevent the metal retaining ring from sticking to the rubber
gasket above it.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:04:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:27:24 -0500, Claude Hopper

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.

Thanks.

Step 1, place bucket under sink drain.

Step 2, search the internet for instructions.

http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com...k-drain+gasket

BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, the problem was indeed with the putty under the flange. BUT, I
only found that out when I tried to loosen the retaining ring/nut. I
lightly tapped the ring on one of the protruding things on the side
and was able to turn it by hand. Unfortunately, the reason it turned
so easily, was that it, along with the gasket, had deteriorated and
just fell apart. There's a nut further down on the straight drain
pipe which is on there pretty solid which I don't think I can get off,
so I'm just going to remove the nut on the other side of the trap,
which I can loosen, and replace everything. If that doesn't work,
then it's on to plan 'B': call someone who actually knows what the
heck they're doing so I can use the sink!

By the way, I did search on google, but there really wasn't all that
much on this, at least that I, with my limited knowledge, was able to
comprehend.

I'll probably make another appearance here before I'm done!

Thanks for the input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 01:44:01 +0000, grannie good witch
wrote:

replying to postacct, grannie good witch wrote:
postacct wrote:

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.
Thanks..

I have the same problem...nobody gives you a detailed list of tools.
Monkey wrench, slip wrench, locking pliers, slip joint pliers.....I am a
67 yr. old fix-it yourself retired lady but the instructions on each site
say something different!!! I'm going to home depot with a detailed drawing
and hope for the best.

Granny,

Looks like this: {print it an take it to HD)

http://www.sweethaven02.com/BldgConst/en51135a0013.gif

Also use plumber's putty on top - under the drain body flange.

YMMV
Senior Member

No, you don't need step-by-step instructions.

What you need is a fool-proof kitchen sink drain.

Enter the Kindred # 1135 strainer basket:

KINDRED - Accessories

http://www.kindred-sinkware.com/grfx...specs/1135.pdf

I have it in all of my kitchen sinks, and it's both simple and reliable. I pay about $9.15 for it at my local plumbing wholesaler, B. A. Robinson.

Referring to the above exploded diagram, you start by taking your old strainer basket out so that you have a 3 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of your kitchen sink, and that hole is clean and dry.

This hole will be "flanged" so that when the top flange of the strainer basket sits in the flanged hole of the sink, the top of the stainless steel strainer basket will be flush with the bottom of the sink.

The procedure is to put plumber's putty on the flange of the flanged hole in the sink. (You can use the foam gasket, but I normally throw those out.)

Now, simply press the stainless steel strainer body into the plumber's putty and collect the plumber's putty that comes oozing out. Look carefully. You'll see a "crown" stamped into the flange of the stainless strainer body. For a perfect job, position that crown at the top of the drain.

Now, put the PVC gasket into the polypropylene shell and hold that under the sink while you drop the threaded spindle through the hold in the strainer basket so that the threaded spindle threads into a threaded hole in the middle of the polypropylene shell. Tighten the threaded spindle with a large coin or flat washer until it's pretty tight and no more plumber's putty is oozing out from under the flange of the stainless strainer basket.

Now, drop the rubber washer into the polypropylene tailpiece and screw that tail piece onto the polypropylene shell hand tight. That's it, you're done.

If you ever have to take that strainer basket apart, you can use a number 222 nitrile O-ring instead of the factory gasket. You can also order that factory gasket as a part, but I just can't find it's part number right now.

The Kindred 1135 is the simplest and most reliable kitchen sink strainer basket I know of, and I replace every old kitchen sink strainer basket with the 1135 when I get a chance.

Kindred and Franke have merged. Kindred always made middle of the road sinks for building like apartment blocks where the builder just wants a good reliable sink. Franke has always been known for high end sinks costing in the $400 to $500 range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

postacct wrote:

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to
guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace
the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a
kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and
separating from the bottom of the sink.
Thanks..

I have the same problem...nobody gives you a detailed list of tools.
Monkey wrench, slip wrench, locking pliers, slip joint pliers.....I am a
67 yr. old fix-it yourself retired lady but the instructions on each site
say something different!!!

Can't you sort of combine them altogether in your mind? Or post
conflicting links here with questions?

I'm going to home depot with a detailed drawing
and hope for the best.

Do you have a garbage disposal underneath the sink, or not? If you do,
in-SINK-erator probably has instructions right on line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

grannie good witch

postacct wrote:

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions
to guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to
replace the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom
of a kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is
warped and separating from the bottom of the sink.
Thanks..

I have the same problem...nobody gives you a detailed list of tools.
Monkey wrench, slip wrench, locking pliers, slip joint pliers.....I am
a 67 yr. old fix-it yourself retired lady but the instructions on each
site say something different!!! I'm going to home depot with a
detailed drawing and hope for the best.

I'm going to home depot with a detailed drawing
and hope for the best.

You MAY need to hope for the best because the person in Home Decor & shades
was told to double cover plumbing. Standard thing for the Borgs to do.