Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Three electrical code questions

Hi,

1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has
heating system pipes?

2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single
staple?

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has
heating system pipes?

Yes

2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single
staple?

Yes

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:14*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has
heating system pipes?

Yes

2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single
staple?

Yes

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Just outside the electrical boxes or in several places along the way
as well?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 3, 7:07*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 3, 7:14*am, "RBM" wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has
heating system pipes?

Yes

2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single
staple?

Yes

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Just outside the electrical boxes or in several places along the way
as well?

snip

Less than 12" for a metal box, 3" for a plastic box IIRC. If in doubt
ask your local building inspector. Quite a few accepted good practices
are not incorporated into NEC code.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:14*am, "RBM" wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

It is cinderblock, they were originallly made from old coal cinders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, that was going to be my question.

I cut out a section of drywall at the top - brought in the cable - and
fished it down to the new outlets.

For the outlets, I cut out a hole just the size of the box, and then screwed
the box to the stud.

I did stable the cable at the top since I had access. But next to the box,
I did not have access, so I did not.

wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 05:07:19 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:14 am, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has
heating system pipes?

Yes

2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single
staple?

Yes

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Just outside the electrical boxes or in several places along the way
as well?

If you are fishing in an existing wall you don't need to staple them

Posted to alt.home.repair

l.net...

wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:14 am, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has
heating system pipes?

Yes

2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single
staple?

Yes

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Just outside the electrical boxes or in several places along the way
as well?

If you are fishing in an existing wall you don't need to staple them

What you did is fine, you'd only have to staple the cable every 4.5 feet and
at boxes, in open walls

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Why would they need to be stapled? Seems to me that falls under the clause
permitting NM to be fished through voids in existing walls, doesn't it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

3. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head
plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the
cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the
studs?

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Why would they need to be stapled? Seems to me that falls under the clause
permitting NM to be fished through voids in existing walls, doesn't it?

Yup, I thought these were open walls until he clarified in a later post

electrical questions GFCIs, grounding, and code [email protected] Home Repair 12 January 11th 06 08:23 PM
electrical code Q les Home Repair 5 July 15th 05 02:22 AM
Pa electrical code Beeper Home Repair 9 April 17th 05 04:26 PM
Is This The Best Electrical Code Book To Have? workinprogress Home Repair 13 February 24th 05 06:39 PM
Electrical service ok or out of code Robert J Rolleston Home Repair 14 December 18th 03 04:19 AM