Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shop window insulation

I'm thinking to cut to fit pieces of 2" polystyrene for my shop windows for
use in the winter (east and west) and summer (south). These are double hung
windows with a good 2" recess where the foam should fit in fairly well.

Other than it being 'pink' - it should be about an R10. One sheet should
cover 3 of my 4 windows and hopefully significantly reduce the amount of
hours on my electric heater.

This is for my "office-side" of the insulated shop. 23x11 with a 220V
heater. Four 34 x 44 windows.

I was also thinking to spray adhesive aluminum foil to one or both sides
(sun exposure side in the summer).

The sheet was $24 and should be enough to cover 3 windows.

Thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 12:29*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I'm thinking to cut to fit pieces of 2" polystyrene for my shop windows for
use in the winter (east and west) and summer (south). *These are double hung
windows with a good 2" recess where the foam should fit in fairly well.

Other than it being 'pink' - it should be about an R10. *One sheet should
cover 3 of my 4 windows and hopefully significantly reduce the amount of
hours on my electric heater.

This is for my "office-side" of the insulated shop. *23x11 with a 220V
heater. * Four 34 x 44 windows.

I was also thinking to spray adhesive aluminum foil to one or both sides
(sun exposure side in the summer).

The sheet was $24 and should be enough to cover 3 windows.

Thoughts?

where are you located?
fire safety?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 2:29 pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I'm thinking to cut to fit pieces of 2" polystyrene for my shop windows for
use in the winter (east and west) and summer (south). These are double hung
windows with a good 2" recess where the foam should fit in fairly well.

Other than it being 'pink' - it should be about an R10. One sheet should
cover 3 of my 4 windows and hopefully significantly reduce the amount of
hours on my electric heater.

This is for my "office-side" of the insulated shop. 23x11 with a 220V
heater. Four 34 x 44 windows.

I was also thinking to spray adhesive aluminum foil to one or both sides
(sun exposure side in the summer).

The sheet was $24 and should be enough to cover 3 windows.

Thoughts?

I've done it, and it works fairly well. Unless you are much better
than I am with a knife, you may want to consider cutting with a
circular saw or table saw, much easier to get straight cuts. I'd
forget about spray adhesive, almost every solvent eats that stuff, 2
sided tape perhaps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 2:29*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I'm thinking to cut to fit pieces of 2" polystyrene for my shop windows for
use in the winter (east and west) and summer (south). *These are double hung
windows with a good 2" recess where the foam should fit in fairly well.

Other than it being 'pink' - it should be about an R10. *One sheet should
cover 3 of my 4 windows and hopefully significantly reduce the amount of
hours on my electric heater.

This is for my "office-side" of the insulated shop. *23x11 with a 220V
heater. * Four 34 x 44 windows.

I was also thinking to spray adhesive aluminum foil to one or both sides
(sun exposure side in the summer).

The sheet was $24 and should be enough to cover 3 windows.

Thoughts?

It works to save energy but dual pane glass can crack from reflected
energy, I painted foamboard black and put it in a window, it not only
cracked the single pane glass but the low winter sun melted the
foamboard. I was suprised and realised that for days I was smelling
the sun melting the foam. I removed it and took it outside, even at
about 10f out the flat black paint got the panel to near 95F. I used
brown paint and was ok, the black realy absorbed the suns energy. Some
Window Manufacturers have in writing using cellular shades can void a
warranty. If they are dark shades, sealed on the sides they do crack
windows when then sun hits them. I guess when its below zero out they
warm up to fast when the sun rises and the dual panes expand unevenly.
A lighter color is better, but research it more if yours are dual
pane. I even saw the foam board melt outside in 10f, a suprise. The
low winter sun and snow reflection has alot of energy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting..

For winter I'm trying to insulate. For summer, insulate and reflect back
the sun's radiant heat. In the winter, I'll leave the window clear to
absorb the radiant engergy.

So I was going to somehow apply aluminum foil to one side and direct that
inwards in the winter and outwards in the summer.

I should have enough material to do 3 of my 4 windows:
winter - west, then east, then 1 of 2 south (on overcast days and at night)
summer - 2 south and then west (to block direct sun)

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 2:29 pm, "Kevin" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 4:24*pm, "Jeff" wrote:
You also may get a lot of condensation on the inside glass.

"Kevin" wrote in message

l.net...

I'm thinking to cut to fit pieces of 2" polystyrene for my shop windows
for use in the winter (east and west) and summer (south). *These are
double hung windows with a good 2" recess where the foam should fit in
fairly well.

Other than it being 'pink' - it should be about an R10. *One sheet should
cover 3 of my 4 windows and hopefully significantly reduce the amount of
hours on my electric heater.

This is for my "office-side" of the insulated shop. *23x11 with a 220V
heater. * Four 34 x 44 windows.

I was also thinking to spray adhesive aluminum foil to one or both sides
(sun exposure side in the summer).

The sheet was $24 and should be enough to cover 3 windows.

Thoughts?- Hide quoted text -

I got condensation when I did it, then mold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 3:29*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I'm thinking to cut to fit pieces of 2" polystyrene for my shop windows for
use in the winter (east and west) and summer (south). *These are double hung
windows with a good 2" recess where the foam should fit in fairly well.

Other than it being 'pink' - it should be about an R10. *One sheet should
cover 3 of my 4 windows and hopefully significantly reduce the amount of
hours on my electric heater.

This is for my "office-side" of the insulated shop. *23x11 with a 220V
heater. * Four 34 x 44 windows.

I was also thinking to spray adhesive aluminum foil to one or both sides
(sun exposure side in the summer).

The sheet was $24 and should be enough to cover 3 windows.

Thoughts?

Had the same idea, but to cover storage room windows on the
upper floors where I don't need sunlight. I'd cut the panels 1/4"
or so undersized and cover the edges with foam weatherstrip
tape for a good seal. You might want weep holes top and bottom
to prevent overheating or condensation.

Replace the foam with black painted plywood, and
you've got instant solar panels to further cut the load
on your heaters.