Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Insulation

Hello,

I live in a pretty old house, and I am going to insulate the windows
with either Frost King or 3M window plastic. I'm wondering if it is
better to place the plastic on the outside, or the inside. I know
they make outdoor and indoor plastic, just wondering which would offer
the best results.

THans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,

I live in a pretty old house, and I am going to insulate the windows
with either Frost King or 3M window plastic. I'm wondering if it is
better to place the plastic on the outside, or the inside. I know
they make outdoor and indoor plastic, just wondering which would offer
the best results.

THans.

Whichever side will trap the most air between the plastic and the glass.

By the way, the 3M film is much better quality than the Frost King in terms
of clarity. I've seen no difference in the performance of the tape from
either brand, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 5:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello,

I live in a pretty old house, and I am going to insulate the windows
with either Frost King or 3M window plastic. I'm wondering if it is
better to place the plastic on the outside, or the inside. I know
they make outdoor and indoor plastic, just wondering which would offer
the best results.

THans.

Whichever side will trap the most air between the plastic and the glass.

By the way, the 3M film is much better quality than the Frost King in terms
of clarity. I've seen no difference in the performance of the tape from
either brand, though.

If you have very leaky windows, and you put the plastic on the
outside, you will get frost on the plastic. I think what is more
important than the air space is blocking as much air infiltration as
possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

In my case, I could never see how the tape would stick to anything on the
outside. Too many strange little angles & turns in the siding surrounding
the windows. Inside, it's all smooth wood.