Posted to alt.home.repair

Default T-stat repair

White-Rodgers 1F90-51/-60 thermostat from 1985.

Mea Culpa: I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years.
Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off.

I jerry-rigged something that got it going again, but it's so
flimsy that it could fail anytime. And it's cold, Cold, COLD
nowadays (midwest US).

It looks like a common design. Copper spade connectors that mount
in a groove in the plastic on one end, extend to allow contact
with the battery poles on the other.

Any suggestions on how to do a substantial repair? It's a good
old (4 wire) control and I got nooooooo idea what t-stats they got on
the market currently or how they might wire.

Thx,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 7:35*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
White-Rodgers 1F90-51/-60 thermostat from 1985.

Mea Culpa: I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years..
Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off.

I jerry-rigged something that got it going again, but it's so
flimsy that it could fail anytime. And it's cold, Cold, COLD
nowadays (midwest US).

It looks like a common design. Copper spade connectors that mount
in a groove in the plastic on one end, extend to allow contact
with the battery poles on the other.

Any suggestions on how to do a substantial repair? It's a good
old (4 wire) control and I got nooooooo idea what t-stats they got on
the market currently or how they might wire.

* Thx,
* P

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
* *- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

It's don't know of any practical way to make a reliable repair on
anything like that which I would trust. Also, we can't even see the
thing.

New ones that offer the same or better features and are srop in
replacements that wire in the same way are relatively inexpensive.
And for a little more, you can get ones with more features.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have to repeat what Tread wrote:

"New ones that offer the same or better features and are srop in
replacements that wire in the same way are relatively inexpensive.
And for a little more, you can get ones with more features."

Don't bother trying to fix an inexpensive item that was never
designed as a throw-a-way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 6:35*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

Its near 24 years old, geeze, dont you think it might be time. Hows
your heating system, maybe 70% efficent
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeeez! I musta posted to the wrong forum.

Is this here forum "alt.home.repair"? As in R-E-P-A-I-R???

Mostly, y'all just show that ya don't know the t-stat.

I bought top-of-line Honeywell in '84. It went totally bonkers and
kissed the trash can in 3 years or less.

I then bought the White-Rodgers 1F90-51. Digital, programmable,
entirely adequate, and very reliable. There's a zillion of them
around here yet: in friends houses, restaurants, etc.

Y'all can pitch, buy-new all ya want. 'Tis my intent to repair! :-)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 05:40:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

New ones that offer the same or better features and are srop in
replacements that wire in the same way are relatively inexpensive.
And for a little more, you can get ones with more features.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:52:43 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

Can you hit Rat Shack (if they still sell useful stuff in your area) and
see if they sell little project battery boxes? that might yield
something usable/modifiable for your purposes...

Thanks. They may have something, I dunno the help can find anything, tho.
I'll likely find out if I don't get lucky ...

Alternately, see if
your local Big Box sells copper in sheets? I'd go with plan A though if
you can because battery connections typically seem to be a little
stiffer and springier than dead soft pure copper.

Then it's likely an alloy of copper.

I got some old sheet brass might work, but I read it's only 28% of
the conductivity of copper.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you hit Rat Shack (if they still sell useful stuff in your area) and
see if they sell little project battery boxes? that might yield
something usable/modifiable for your purposes... Alternately, see if
your local Big Box sells copper in sheets? I'd go with plan A though if
you can because battery connections typically seem to be a little
stiffer and springier than dead soft pure copper.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:19:24 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

[...]

Pull the stat off the wall. Punch a hole behind it large enough to
take a 4 -AA battery holder. Solder the leads to the correct points on
the circuit board, drop the battery case into the wall and screw the
stat back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Y'all can pitch, buy-new all ya want. 'Tis my intent to repair! :-)

Stupid is as stupid does i suppose.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Tower RF stat Ian Stirling UK diy 8 October 28th 06 06:05 PM
T-Stat/H-Stat Recommendation Big Giant Head Home Repair 5 August 19th 06 05:01 PM
How to fit a room stat brian UK diy 8 January 11th 06 08:43 PM
programmable T-stat with fan on Mikepier Home Repair 12 November 20th 05 03:19 PM
Room Stat BIC UK diy 12 December 10th 03 03:31 PM