Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT... I got HOSED

Good Grief, I got hosed by an internet company.

In this day of trying to find bargains because of money is tight, I got
taken.

I was looking for restaurant coupons on the net, I came across a company
called Restaurant.Com
http://www.restaurant.com/index.asp?prti=4252&raid=1150&s_kwcid=restaurant.c om|2647596287

Looks to be legit, right?

So, I printed off a couple of coupons, one of them cost me $10.00 for a $25
coupon, and one for a pizza shop near me cost $3.00 for a $15.00 coupon.

It's a month later, and I notice on my Discover card, a charge of $14.95.
After the wife,daughter, & I could only see it had to be an internet
company, since the charge was from a different state, we started a search
on Google for the company.

Well, whatcha know, the company comes up in droves from Ripoff Report. It
appears somewhere in fine print, even after boasting they don't sell, give,
etc. your information away, they end up billing you by the month @ $14.95
per month for using restaurant coupons. I suppose this would be a deal, if
you go out to eat often. Being on a tight budget, we go out to eat, maybe
once a month, and it's not at an expensive place.

So now, I have to file a dispute, and will contact our State Attorney
General.

Anyways, just wanted to warn anyone buying off the internet, it's not
always what it appears to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Loren" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've been using their coupons for several years, and have saved quite a bit
doing so. I have never been billed for any monthly charges whatsoever. I am
surprised that your experience is so very different from mine. Many very
fine restaurants in my area have been participants for at least the last 3
years, so I would highly doubt that your experience is at all typical. Are
you certain they are the ones who have started billing you?

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
I've been using their coupons for several years, and have saved quite a
bit doing so. I have never been billed for any monthly charges
whatsoever. I am surprised that your experience is so very different from
mine. Many very fine restaurants in my area have been participants for at
least the last 3 years, so I would highly doubt that your experience is
at all typical. Are you certain they are the ones who have started
billing you?

Smarty

It's absolutely Restaurant.Com.

After reading articles from Google, the scam comes into play when they send
you an email survey. Hidden in the survey somewhere, is where they say they
will bill you $14.95 per month. I did fill out a survey sent to me after
about 3 weeks after I purchased the coupons. I did not give out CC
information in the survey, nor my name or address.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ls&btnG=Search

The billing is from : AP9*Shoppingessential.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.restaurant.com/index.asp?..._kwcid=restaur
[...]

Why don't you use virtual card numbers with any Internet transactions?
The card number generated can only be used once by anyone - exception is
a credit to the card number. I ALWAYS use them with Discover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Loren" wrote in message ...

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Loren. I confirmed your experience at RipOff Reports and apparently,
exactly as you said, many people have also been hosed. The survey is
something I have not completed, which is why I apparently have been spared
from all the grief!

Thanks for the warning. I have forwarded to others I know who also use their
coupons.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Loren" wrote in message ...
[...]

I had a similar experience when I purchased wallpaper online. I saw a charge
labeled "Entertainment" for $9.99. I called my credit card company and they
took one look at it and knew immediately that it was a scam, because it had
happened to a bunch of other people that month. They were able to determine
that it was the wallpaper site which triggered the charge, since the scam
works by automatically signing you up for this "entertainment" membership
which supposedly entitles you do discounts on movies, etc., although they
never sent any info about this membership. The charge that appears just
before the bogus "entertainment" charge is the site which boosted your
credit card info. The scam works because there are lots of people who don't
review their credit card bill or who just don't notice a recurring charge of
$9.99. Interesting that the wallpaper site is gone now, although it was
legit. The wallpaper I got was great quality and a great price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Loren" wrote in ....

http://www.restaurant.com/index.asp?.....2647 596287

[...]

legit. The wallpaper I got was great quality and a great price.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, the whole thing doesn't pass my smell test, even without
getting billed a monthly fee that you didn't know about. Paying $10
for a $25 off coupon, which amounts to a whopping $15 off IF you
remember and manage to use it, doesn't sound like a good deal to
me. Plenty of local restaurants have their own deals that are just
as good or better and advertised locally in the newspaper that you
don't have to pay anything up front for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:54:17 -0500, "Loren"
wrote:

[...]

Discover will help protect your purchases from fraud. Also, Discover
has a OPC utility you can download and use to generate a one-time use
internet purchase. There are several websites that give customer
ratings about a specific vendor. One such site is
www.resellerratings.com but there are others. Your warning would be
more useful if posted to these sites where customers are actively
looking for comments. Be aware that there are plenty Internet
companies that use alternate company names to hide their fraudulant
practices.

Buying coupons is just not my cup of tea, but you have to be extra
careful about making online purchases.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
"Loren" wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting, thanks to both of you.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Loren" wrote in message ...
[...]

Don't forget the Federal Trade Commission.

Steve