Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on new range

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:15*am, Zz Yzx wrote:
After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

I have an apt bldg and the 50 yr old stuff I dont throw away, I think
for 5-700 they are all very poorly made, I have a used appliance
dealer that got me a few real nice units worth maybe 6-800 new today
for 150 instaled. You dont know what you are getting anymore with
china in charge, at least we dont buy chinese milk, and know about
chinese kids toys, and chinese dog food. You wont get the quality you
now have unless you pay thousands. Just compare price by inflation
over 32 years. Get what you like, its all disposable stuff now,
Consumers Reports has good ratings on how well they cook, subscribe
online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/08 11:24 am SteveB wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,

Stay away from electric.

Why? My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and has taught Home Ec. She
has used both gas and electric ranges over the years and seems perfectly
content with her new ceramic-top electric range. We could have had gas
run to the kitchen for a gas range (the furnace is gas), but she decided
that electric was fine.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:24*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Stay away from electric.

Steve

Oh gee; we have always since 1960 used bog standard 30 inch electrics.
Including some intensive catering activities between 1970 and 2003.
We are currently on our third or fourth used stove in this 38 year old
house.
This one and the last having cost nothing. They are fairly easy to
repair.
Discarded stoves often being free or very cheap as people renovate.
Stick to white that colour always seems to be available.
Based on experience of friends/neighbours; stainless shows marks very
easily and colours such as black can be dull and go out of style
quickly.
Difficult here, now. to get any new stove that does not use electronic
clock/timers which can be a pain and less reliable than the older
style. Not a big issue here since our power is very reliable and we
are now retired.
Keep it simple and reliable. Avoid unnecessary features. Self clean,
for example, often doesn't!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:37*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 11/20/08 11:24 am SteveB wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,

Stay away from electric.

Why? My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and has taught Home Ec. She
has used both gas and electric ranges over the years and seems perfectly
content with her new ceramic-top electric range. We could have had gas
run to the kitchen for a gas range (the furnace is gas), but she decided
that electric was fine.

Perce

Unless you have subsidised Hydro you pay alot more to cook, I pay 30%
more per Btu for electric. Now Electric companies over the last year
has successfully got major rate increases put through that will stay
in effect, last I saw Ng is in a big down trend. Cooking on electric,
no pro will use electric nor will I. Plus electric electric elements
dont last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 11/20/08 11:24 am SteveB wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,

Stay away from electric.

Why? My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and has taught Home Ec. She
has used both gas and electric ranges over the years and seems perfectly
content with her new ceramic-top electric range. We could have had gas
run to the kitchen for a gas range (the furnace is gas), but she decided
that electric was fine.

Perce

I'm particularly happy with dual fuel, i.e. gas burners and electric
ovens. I'm not sure if there are any available in that price range
however. In that price range I've used GE electrics and they've been
fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/20/08 11:24 am SteveB wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,

Stay away from electric.

Why? My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and has taught Home Ec.
She has used both gas and electric ranges over the years and seems
perfectly content with her new ceramic-top electric range. We could
have had gas run to the kitchen for a gas range (the furnace is gas),
but she decided that electric was fine.

Electrics are deficient in the following areas:
* They take a while to heat up,
* You don't have full control over the heat,
* They don't get as hot as a gas range,
* They cost more to operate,
* You can't tell by looking whether they're on or off,
* You don't have the versatility:
#You can't toast marshmallows on an electric range.
# You can't burn the pin feathers off a freshly-plucked chicken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:
After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,

Monitor Craigslist for your vicinity. You can get one free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 7:15*am, Zz Yzx wrote:
After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Get an electric with "tight" coils. They are higher quality than the
scrawny-coil types.

Advantages of electric;

-No dangerous open flame
-No added humidity from combustion
-No explosion hazard
-No stink
-More efficient transfer of energy from element to pan instead of
wasting energy on hot combustion gases flowing up around the pot/pan
unused in large quantities
-Cooler workspace above pan for stirring (see previous point)
-Durable coils

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate the finer aspects
of gas cooking. But if you don't already have a gas line in place by
your range, and any of the above points are important to you, I
suggest electric, especially if you're already used to it's heating
response characteristics.

I don't recommend smoothtops. Too many people have too many problems
with cracks, stains, pot size acceptance problems, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:41*am, terry wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:24*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

for example, often doesn't!- Hide quoted text -

Oh gee, my electric elements lasted 5 years, you can`t have heat
control like gas offers, or cook as cheaply. Electric is for those
that have no gas or don`t know how to cook. Show me a pro chef
restruant that uses electric, and it will be on Kitchen Nightmares
show for sure. And you closed your catering business!.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 8:50*am, ransley wrote:
Show me a pro chef
restruant that uses electric, and it will be on Kitchen Nightmares
show for sure. *And you closed your catering business!.- Hide quoted text -

Enough with the insults ("don't know how to cook"). The difference is
that this person is talking about an appliance in his home, not in a
restaurant kitchen with industrial ventilation and huge mixers. If
you want to get industrial everything in your home, fine... but not
everyone does. I don't have a 747 parked in my driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 10:55*am, mike wrote:
On Nov 20, 8:50*am, ransley wrote:
Show me a pro chef

restruant that uses electric, and it will be on Kitchen Nightmares
show for sure. *And you closed your catering business!.- Hide quoted text -

Enough with the insults ("don't know how to cook"). *The difference is
that this person is talking about an appliance in his home, not in a
restaurant kitchen with industrial ventilation and huge mixers. * If
you want to get industrial everything in your home, fine... but not
everyone does. *I don't have a 747 parked in my driveway.

Who said industrial, what pro uses electric, electric sucks unless
boiling water is what you call cooking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 11/20/08 11:24 am SteveB wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,

Stay away from electric.

Why? My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and has taught Home Ec. She
has used both gas and electric ranges over the years and seems perfectly
content with her new ceramic-top electric range. We could have had gas run
to the kitchen for a gas range (the furnace is gas), but she decided that
electric was fine.

Perce

If it works for you, go for it. I do not like electric. PLUS, electric
stoves have more parts and more to go wrong than gas stoves.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:23*am, ransley wrote:

Who said industrial, what pro uses electric, electric sucks unless
boiling water is what you call cooking.

WHY does it "suck"? Because it doesn't have as fast of response as
gas? Ok, it's not the end of the world. It's not that hard to deal
with.

By the way, there are pros that use huge electric grill tables. But
that alone doesn't mean that you should have one in your home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 12:41*pm, mike wrote:
On Nov 20, 9:23*am, ransley wrote:

Who said industrial, what pro uses electric, electric sucks unless
boiling water is what you call cooking.

WHY does it "suck"? *Because it doesn't have as fast of response as
gas? *Ok, it's not the end of the world. * It's not that hard to deal
with.

By the way, there are pros that use huge electric grill tables. * But
that alone doesn't mean that you should have one in your home.

Any poll of profesional chefs will show that they overwhelmingly
prefer a gas cooktop. It's not even close. You can get more heat,
faster heat, better control, and it's uniform. A common problem with
an electric cooktop is that pots and pans are very often not perfectly
fat, nor is the electric element. Consequently, one side can be in
tigth contact and super hot, while the other is not and cooler.

Give me gas for the cooktop and electric ovens any day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:15:01 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Stick with the well-known brands as you'll never know when you may
need a spare part. Might be good to make a list of features you need,
features you want, and then order the list by importance. Research
Consumer Reports repair records for brands you might want to avoid. My
Whirlpool gas range has made it 17 years with one valve controller diy
replacement; ranges can last a very long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 10:28*am, wrote:
.. * *You can get more heat,
faster heat, better control, and it's uniform. * A common problem with
an electric cooktop is that pots and pans are very often not perfectly
fat, nor is the electric element. *Consequently, one side can be in
tigth contact and super hot, while the other is not and cooler.

1. I've never had a problem with inadequate heat with eletric.

2. I've never had a problem with heat uniformity with electric.

3. I've never had a problem with my pans not being flat enough or
with improper element mating with electric. I do admit that I don't
buy garage sale pans. But neither are they very expensive.

4. I've never had a problem controlling heat with electric. I
concede that it is easier to control heat response with gas, but it is
simply not that hard to get used to and compensate for electric heat
response characteristics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Electrics do far better at low simmers without burning than gas, except
for the high end gas with intermittent burners for simmer. A separate
electric cook pot (not crock pot) does an acceptable job of covering for
this failing with a gas stove.

Electric ovens are nearly always superior to gas ovens, hence my
preference for a dual fuel setup with gas burners and electric ovens.

Operating cost on either type is not a factor unless you are cooking in
commercial quantities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:39*pm, mike wrote:
On Nov 20, 10:28*am, wrote:
. * *You can get more heat,

faster heat, better control, and it's uniform. * A common problem with
an electric cooktop is that pots and pans are very often not perfectly
fat, nor is the electric element. *Consequently, one side can be in
tigth contact and super hot, while the other is not and cooler.

1. I've never had a problem with inadequate heat with eletric.

2. *I've never had a problem with heat uniformity with electric.

3. *I've never had a problem with my pans not being flat enough or
with improper element mating with electric. *I do admit that I don't
buy garage sale pans. *But neither are they very expensive.

4. *I've never had a problem controlling heat with electric. *I
concede that it is easier to control heat response with gas, but it is
simply not that hard to get used to and compensate for electric heat
response characteristics.

If electric cooking is so peechy keen, why do you see the vast
majority of pro chefs using gas? Why aren't commerical restaurants
outfitted with electric? Ever watch the Food Channel? Count how
may different chefs are using gas vs electric. It's overwhelming gas
they are using. It ain't even close. And it's because of the above
reasons.

How about this survey of pro chefs? 96 percent prefer gas.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-874923_ITM
Description WASHINGTON, Oct. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- When it comes to
results, the majority of professional chefs agree that cooking with
gas, whether propane or natural gas, is the best option. According to
a recent national survey, 96 percent of professional chefs prefer
using a gas cooktop, and nine out of 10 would recommend that others
use gas to cook as well.

"I've been in this business for more than 20 years and I don't know of
any professional chefs that prefer using electric," said...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 11:24*am, wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:39*pm, mike wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:28*am, wrote:
[...]

any professional chefs that prefer using electric," said...- Hide quoted text -

That's fine. Let restaurants have their gas burners and industrial
ventilation and, yes, giant *electric* grill countertops. Electric is
the overwhelming choice in home ranges 60% to 35%, which is what we
are faced with in this question. Everyday users weigh the pros and
cons and most decide they can deal with the slower heat response
characteristics of electric (again, not a biggie).

Some people don't like gas's humidity production, and they don't like
the hot combustion gases making it uncomfortable to stir or add
ingredients. Some people like the peace of mind of no gas leaks, no
open flames and no explosions. Some like having the controls out of
the reach of children, but because of the hot combustion gas issue,
you often find gas controls right out front where kids can get to
them, unfortunately.

Let it go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:16*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

reply: *You guys in the newsgroup just don't get it, do you. *Mike says it
is so, it is so. *Let it go.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I don't care which one you pick. I take issue with the insults
flying forth because some people factor their priorties differently or
because others show problems with the option they appeared to be
married to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Monitor Craigslist for your vicinity. You can get one free.

Yep.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:50*pm, mike wrote:
On Nov 20, 11:24*am, wrote:

On Nov 20, 1:39*pm, mike wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:28*am, wrote:
[...]

Let it go.- Hide quoted text -

I dont know what state you live in but it must be the state of cheap
electricity and maybe only a few qualify. Here folks are aware
electric costs more and just about all have gas. Do folks heat with
electric in your area, in mine nobody is that stupid, and electric
heat systems are made.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 10:15*am, Zz Yzx wrote:
After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

I don't know about all these other people with their electric vs. gas
argument. I have a wood-fired range and oven.

You don't get that nasty gas smell. No open flames. No control knobs
for kids to burn themselves or burn the house down with. Lots cheaper
than electric. My oven is 112 years old, made in 1896.

Don't waste your time on gas or electric. You don't see gas or
electric cooking at the REAL pizza shops or barbecue joints.... The
true professionals cook with WOOD!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:38*pm, ransley wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:50*pm, mike wrote:

On Nov 20, 11:24*am, wrote:

On Nov 20, 1:39*pm, mike wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:28*am, wrote:
[...]

heat systems are made.- Hide quoted text -

I do have cheap electricity, but you're forgetting the energy transfer
problem of gas ranges. That hot combustion gas flows rapidly upward
and the energy is not transfered to your food very efficiently at
all. Hence my earlier comments about hand and arm confort when
reaching over pots and pans to stir or add ingredients.

This may not be a big deal in the winter as far as cost goes, but is
counterproductive in the summer. What this means is that you cannot
just make a comparison based soley on cost per energy unit of gas v.
electric.

I cannot vouch for the numbers, but I've seen that less than 40
percent of the energy produced by a gas range surface burner actually
gets to the food. In electric range surface units, this figure may
increase to 60 percent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 2:50*pm, mike wrote:
On Nov 20, 11:24*am, wrote:

On Nov 20, 1:39*pm, mike wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:28*am, wrote:
[...]

I thought the issue being discussed was which is better for cooking,
not which is installed in most homes. More people have Timex watches
than Rolex, does that make them better? For that, I'd trust pro
chefs opinions and choices, which is overwhelmingly gas. Who would
you think knows more about which is better? Jean George, Wolfgang
Puck, Gordon Ramsey, or some suburban housewife in a common house?
And if you want to look at homes, instead of looking at what the
installed base of homes that have been built over decades and many of
which focused on low cost, take a look at higher end homes. I've
been in probably a hundred $800K to 1.5 mil new homes here in NJ in
the last 2 years and I can tell you almost ALL of them had gas
cooktops. Now, if electric is so superior and desirable, why is that?

And you didn't answer the question, which is if gas is so peechy keen,
why is it that it's not used in restaurants or chosen by pro chefs?

* Everyday users weigh the pros and
cons and most decide they can deal with the slower heat response
characteristics of electric (again, not a biggie).

Most of them are clueless about cooking and probably got the cooktop
that the builder shoved in because it was cheap. You can use most
anything to heat up left overs. Microwaves are common too, does that
make them a superior way to cook most food?

Some people don't like gas's humidity production, and they don't like
the hot combustion gases making it uncomfortable to stir or add
ingredients.

Never had that problem here. Humidity and smoke can be easily taken
out with a range hood. I suppose you don't think pro cooks like
those either. And again, a proper hood is an essential element of
any good kitchen that a serious cook would use.

*Some people like the peace of mind of no gas leaks, no
open flames and no explosions.

Sure, that's fine and they can do what they want. But it doesn't
change the fact that for cooking food, a gas cooktop is preferred by
pro chefs and knowledgable home chefs, and for good reason. Gas
doesn't worry me, nor the tens of millions of homes that use it for
heat, cooking, etc.

*Some like having the controls out of
the reach of children, but because of the hot combustion gas issue,
you often find gas controls right out front where kids can get to
them, unfortunately.

Plenty of gas cooktops with the controls located just like they would
be with an electric. And again, we weren't debating kids, we were
talking about which is BETTER FOR COOKING.

But again, I don't care what anyone chooses for their own reasons.
All I'm telling you is pro chefs and serious home cooks overwhelmingly
choose gas for cooktops and for good reason. It's superior for
cooking. Maybe not suitable though for worry worts afraid of gas,
maybe not suitable for people who can't figure out there are lots of
gas cooktops with controls on top, or for people who are worred about
humidity, who don't have a decent hood, etc.

Let it go.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 2:04*pm, wrote:

I thought the issue being discussed was which is better for cooking,
not which is installed in most homes.

Actually the OP asked:

"Any rec's for a new one"

There are reasons for installations in restaurants and there are
reasons for installations in homes. The OP lives in a home.

We've both had our say, and I'm not going to re-hash the points
again. Twice is enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Stay away from electric.

Steve

I agree. We have a gas cooktop on one island and an electric cook top
in another. With few exceptions my wife always cooks on the gas one.
It is more responsive. Heats faster and cools down faster. I can't
imagine cooking with a wok or boiling lobsters on an electric unit. A
20,000 BTU gas burner heats up fast.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 2:23*pm, Boden wrote:
*I can't
imagine cooking with a wok or boiling lobsters on an electric unit. *A
20,000 BTU gas burner heats up fast.

Boden- Hide quoted text -

While you have a high-end model, no doubt, gas burners are typically
slower to boil water than electric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Stay away from electric.

Steve

I agree. We have a gas cooktop on one island and an electric cook top in
another. With few exceptions my wife always cooks on the gas one. It is
more responsive. Heats faster and cools down faster. I can't imagine
cooking with a wok or boiling lobsters on an electric unit. A 20,000 BTU
gas burner heats up fast.

Boden

It comes down to this for ME, Boden. People who know how to cook choose
gas. It's very simple.

Now, IF I am stuck somewhere (like where I live now) where gas is not
available, I CAN use electricity. However, I prefer using the $50 used
propane four burner stove in my cabin to the nice electric range I have in
my house.

We are going to do a kitchen remodel as soon as our ship is released from
Somali custody, and the numero uno priority is having a large propane tank
installed and gas piped to the new GAS range.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

"Boden" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

[...]

People who know how to cook just cook. While I have a nice dual fuel
stove in my current house, the previous house had a crappy old electric
stove and I produced great dinners there too.

From the small amount of appliance shopping I've done, it appears that
at any given price point, you can get a better quality electric stove
than gas stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 2:23 pm, Boden wrote:
I can't
imagine cooking with a wok or boiling lobsters on an electric unit. A
20,000 BTU gas burner heats up fast.

Boden- Hide quoted text -

While you have a high-end model, no doubt, gas burners are typically
slower to boil water than electric.

Reply:

Yabbut ....................... I can see the flame when I turn it on instead
of waiting and seeing if the heat asked for on the knob is the heat
delivered at the burner.

Admit it. Your idea of a gourmet meal is macaroni and cheese that costs
more than sixty-nine cents a box. If you were a cook, you'd know what's
being discussed here.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 2:23 pm, Boden wrote:
I can't
imagine cooking with a wok or boiling lobsters on an electric unit. A
20,000 BTU gas burner heats up fast.

Boden- Hide quoted text -

While you have a high-end model, no doubt, gas burners are typically
slower to boil water than electric.

Reply:

Yabbut ....................... I can see the flame when I turn it on instead
of waiting and seeing if the heat asked for on the knob is the heat
delivered at the burner.

Those with the halogen type electrics can see the glow as well. The
calrod style electrics do have some lag time, but on the high setting
they glow as well.

And yes, calrod style electrics tend to have better heat conduction to
the pot/pan due to direct contact, vs. gas where a considerable
percentage of the heat generated flows around the sides of the pot/pan
and out the vent hood.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

Some like having the controls out of
the reach of children, but because of the hot combustion gas issue,
you often find gas controls right out front where kids can get to
them, unfortunately.

Let it go.

What you see as an advantage, I see as a great disadvanatge after suffering
iwth electric for a few years. Do yo really think it is a good idea to
reach across a boiling pot to reac the controls on an electric? Or while a
steak is being seared? We were very happy to give the electric away and
have propane put in.

As for the fear of gas leaks, no rational facts can overcome fears of the
mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? $500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

In that price range, not much difference from what I saw. You'll get a
basic range, not fancy controls and circuit boards to break in five years.
It will do any basic cooking that 90% of people do.

If you want lots of fancy features, figure $1000 and up. Way up. You can
drop $10,000 on a range.

I do love my Bertazzoni though. This is mine.
http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Pro...CatID=PS&ID=47

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

Some like having the controls out of
the reach of children, but because of the hot combustion gas issue,
you often find gas controls right out front where kids can get to
them, unfortunately.

Let it go.

What you see as an advantage, I see as a great disadvanatge after suffering
iwth electric for a few years. Do yo really think it is a good idea to
reach across a boiling pot to reac the controls on an electric? Or while a
steak is being seared? We were very happy to give the electric away and
have propane put in.

Advantages and disadvantages to both types, however they are all pretty
superficial. A good cook can readily produce good food on either type.
On control location, I like any location but on the front, which is
oddly popular on commercial and pseudo-commercial units.

As for the fear of gas leaks, no rational facts can overcome fears of the
mind.

On that last part, I've seen at least four reports of houses leveled by
gas explosions on CNN.com in the last few weeks alone. Oddly enough, not
a single report of a house exploding from an electrical issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

On that last part, I've seen at least four reports of houses leveled by
gas explosions on CNN.com in the last few weeks alone. Oddly enough, not
a single report of a house exploding from an electrical issue.

Sure, gas pops a couple of houses a year, but electrical fires are far more
common, just not as dramatic.. Same with oil burners, woodstoves, coal
stoves, etc. The fact that you hear of a house blowing up from gas shows
how rare it is if it makes more than the local news. How many people were
killed in traffic accidents this week? They are so common they don't even
make the local news. IIRC, there are still 40-50,0000 traffic deaths a
year, but no big outcry to fix anything.