Slumlord

Default Gas range repair: advice wanted

GE gas range with sealed burners.

The front burners appear to have gotten clogged. Gas no longer flows
freely though the stem. Gas also leaks a bit under the cover. I opened
the cover and found a lot of cleaner residue around the burner assembly.
I am guessing the tenant clogged it up over time by getting cleaners
into the burner assembly itself. I think the gas is backing up though
the air intake that mixes the gas with air before its ignited. I
checked out the gas control valves and they seem to work fine.

Question: Is a burner assembly something that can be cleaned? Or do
you just replace it?

Thanks in advance..

Matt
willshak

On 11/24/2004 7:56 AM US(ET), Slumlord took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

GE gas range with sealed burners.

The front burners appear to have gotten clogged. Gas no longer flows
freely though the stem. Gas also leaks a bit under the cover. I
opened the cover and found a lot of cleaner residue around the burner
assembly.
I am guessing the tenant clogged it up over time by getting cleaners
into the burner assembly itself. I think the gas is backing up though
the air intake that mixes the gas with air before its ignited. I
checked out the gas control valves and they seem to work fine.

Question: Is a burner assembly something that can be cleaned? Or do
you just replace it?

Thanks in advance..

Matt

I do it on occasion. Just pull the burners out and use an old toothbrush
and toothpick to clean out the orifices. Use a little liquid dishwasher
soap on stubborn spots. Dry them thoroughly afterwards. Since water will
remain in some of the orifices, you may get some orifices not producing
a flame if the burner is not completely dry. Just leave the burner on
until the heat dries up any water that might have remained behind.
jeff

Slumlord wrote in message ...
GE gas range with sealed burners.

The front burners appear to have gotten clogged. Gas no longer flows
freely though the stem. Gas also leaks a bit under the cover. I opened
the cover and found a lot of cleaner residue around the burner assembly.
I am guessing the tenant clogged it up over time by getting cleaners
into the burner assembly itself. I think the gas is backing up though
the air intake that mixes the gas with air before its ignited. I
checked out the gas control valves and they seem to work fine.

Question: Is a burner assembly something that can be cleaned? Or do
you just replace it?

Thanks in advance..

Matt

Hi,

Model# is ??....so we know what style of burners ( there are more than
one ) your GE ranges has.

Is a burner assembly something that can be cleaned?

Probably, to a point.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Slumlord

jeff wrote:
Slumlord wrote in message ...

[...]

Model: JGBS23WEW3WW
Its the version with sealed burners, not the one with the open burners
that are installed in pairs.

Slumlord

Phisherman wrote:
Unplug the holes using a toothpick.

Model: JGBS23WEW3WW
Its the version with sealed burners, not the one with the open burners
that are installed in pairs.

Sealed burners. No holes. There is a metal spout that come up that
feeds into a 'burner disk' (which is fine). The problem is in the stuff
below the range top. The gas is being restricted before it reaches the
burner disk.