Posted to alt.home.repair
vic vic is offline

Default Need advice ..Installing ductwork for range exhaust

I will be installing a 16' run of 3.25 x 10" galvanized duct work
near the ceiling of my kitchen which will eventually be covered by a
chase I will build around it.

I want to make the run secure and prevent any possible vent noise
rattling when I use the range hood fan.

Does each section of stack have to be screwed together with machine
screws or will the metal ducting tape suffice??

How is each 5' stack of ductwork secured to the plasterboard wall??
Thanks for your help!

Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 6:44 pm, "vic" wrote:
I will be installing a 16' run of 3.25 x 10" galvanized duct work
near the ceiling of my kitchen which will eventually be covered by a
chase I will build around it.

I want to make the run secure and prevent any possible vent noise
rattling when I use the range hood fan.

Try as you might you may find that your vent fans will be noisy
anyway. It is the fan itself and the actual air movement that makes
noise, not the ducting so much.

The best solution I have seen for noise reduction is to put the fan
outside. So long as the fan is in the room it will be noisy
regardless of what you do with the vent. Of course some fans are less
noisy than others.

Does each section of stack have to be screwed together with machine
screws or will the metal ducting tape suffice??

You need screws in my opinion. Tape is fine but who knows how well it
holds up inside an enclosed chase?

How is each 5' stack of ductwork secured to the plasterboard wall??
Thanks for your help!

So long as it is attached at the hood and attached where it leaves the
house and all the stacks are screwed to each other then I see no
reason to fasten it to the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vic wrote:
I will be installing a 16' run of 3.25 x 10" galvanized duct work
near the ceiling of my kitchen which will eventually be covered by a
chase I will build around it.

I want to make the run secure and prevent any possible vent noise
rattling when I use the range hood fan.

Does each section of stack have to be screwed together with machine
screws or will the metal ducting tape suffice??

How is each 5' stack of ductwork secured to the plasterboard wall??
Thanks for your help!

Vic

16 foot is on the long side. Make sure the fan you buy is rated for
this long a run.

I would screw and tape (real metal duct tape found in the HVAC area, not
the stuff found with the other tapes). The screws are required for solid
mechanical fitting and the tape is required to seal the fittings. You don't
want grease leaking out.

I would and have wrapped the duct with fiberglass insulation to help
reduce the noise and heat insulation. Securing depends on the application,
but I use metal straps around the fiberglass wrap and screw that into
something solid.

If you want quiet or anything close to it make sure you buy a unit that
will deliver the flow you want at a low sound level. There are great
differences in different makes and models. As noted putting the fan at the
exit wall is usually going to be quieter and most of the fans designed for
that use are better quality and quieter by nature.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit