Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen sink replacement

I currently have a double bowl kithen sink that I want to replace with
a single bowl. From left to right it measures 33 inches (edge to
edge)and from back to front it measeures 25 inches (edge to edge). The
sink is stainless steel and sits in a granite counter top. Aprox. 1
1/2 inches of the sink all the way around sit on the granite. It has
one handle for hot and cold water and an areator. If you look under
the sink where it is mounted there are what appear to be "rails".

1. How is the sink secured to the granite? It appears that the
"rails" have something to do with it but I cannot tell for sure.

2. From left to right, is this measurement the length or width?

3. From back to front is this measurement length or width?

4. I want the new sink to sit over the granite like the existing sink
does. What is this mounting scheme called?

5. How do I get the existing sink out of the granite counter top?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not a plumber for sure wrote:
I currently have a double bowl kithen sink that I want to replace with
a single bowl. From left to right it measures 33 inches (edge to
edge)and from back to front it measeures 25 inches (edge to edge). The
sink is stainless steel and sits in a granite counter top. Aprox. 1
1/2 inches of the sink all the way around sit on the granite. It has
one handle for hot and cold water and an areator. If you look under
the sink where it is mounted there are what appear to be "rails".

1. How is the sink secured to the granite? It appears that the
"rails" have something to do with it but I cannot tell for sure.

The "rails" are an upside down "U" that hold little clips which are
tightened to the mounting surface via little bolts in each clip.

2. From left to right, is this measurement the length or width?

I'd call it "width"

3. From back to front is this measurement length or width?

I'd call it "depth".

4. I want the new sink to sit over the granite like the existing sink
does. What is this mounting scheme called?

Drop in

5. How do I get the existing sink out of the granite counter top?

Loosen the bolts tensioning the clips against the granite, swing clips out
of the way and lift out sink. The sink will also have putty or caulk under
it so you'll have to cut it with a razor blade from the top edge to free it.
That may not be easy...cut as deep as you can, wiggle/pry up, cut some more.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You've prolly already found the secret out; kitchen sinks come in two sizes.
But, you'll need the "drop-in", as noted.

And, the dual-sink design is supposedly more popular, but the next sink I
get (after paying a premium for the dual-bowl I have now) will be a single
bowl. Wasted space for me.