Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Oven Repair -- Element question

Yikes:

I made my "Special Roast Chicken and Beer" and the oven got trashed --
as usual.

So, my wife is "strongly suggesting" that I clean it this time.

To do a good job, I disconnected the bottom heating element and
removed it from the oven, to give better access to the floor of the
oven.

The element itself attaches by two screws to two wires (red and blacK
wires) that supply the power to the element.

Well, not thinking, I did not pay attention to which wire (red or
black) goes to which side -- ie -- red wire attaches to left side,
black to right, or whatever).

So, does it make any difference? Help me out here. Wife with dirty
oven not happy. Wife with NO oven very unhappy....

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Yikes:

I made my "Special Roast Chicken and Beer" and the oven got trashed --
as usual.

So, my wife is "strongly suggesting" that I clean it this time.

To do a good job, I disconnected the bottom heating element and
removed it from the oven, to give better access to the floor of the
oven.

The element itself attaches by two screws to two wires (red and blacK
wires) that supply the power to the element.

Well, not thinking, I did not pay attention to which wire (red or
black) goes to which side -- ie -- red wire attaches to left side,
black to right, or whatever).

So, does it make any difference? Help me out here. Wife with dirty
oven not happy. Wife with NO oven very unhappy....

Tim

The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 1:06*pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:

[...]

But if it is hooked up backwards won't it freeze the food?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 12:06*pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:

The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any
difference.

OP again. I did not know the "electrical terms" to use, but that is
sort of what I thought, but wanted to check it out before I put it
back together.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 2:05*pm, metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:20:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 12, 12:06*pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:

The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any
difference.

OP again. *I did not know the "electrical terms" to use, but that is
sort of what I thought, but wanted to check it out before I put it
back together.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

When doing anything electrical, now that digital cameras are so
common, it doesn't hurt to take a picture of the connections before
disconnecting anything.

Are you trying to say that in order to get my oven repaired
I have to get that lazy no good husband of mine the digital
camera he always wanted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hmmm,
Freezing oven? That's new to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You would have to be an electrician to get that joke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Electrician? He's called me everything else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Naah, the last time I hooked up an oven element backwards, Al Gore sent me a
nasty letter. He relies on global warming for his income and his publicity.

More seriously, it shouldn't make a difference which is black or red. Unless
Obama gets elected, and then the red states better be paying attention to
the black states.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any
difference.

But if it is hooked up backwards won't it freeze the food?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Courage, mate! You'll be fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Nov 12, 12:06 pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:

The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any
difference.

OP again. I did not know the "electrical terms" to use, but that is
sort of what I thought, but wanted to check it out before I put it
back together.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did that, when replacing the power supply of my computer. Glad I did. It
wasn't as complicated as I expected. But I sure felt better, having the
layout on camera screen. Just in case I forgot something.

Pictures before dissembly, a good idea in so many trades. "Appendix connects
to what, again? And where did I leave that tonsil?"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"metspitzer" wrote in message

When doing anything electrical, now that digital cameras are so
common, it doesn't hurt to take a picture of the connections before
disconnecting anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want chicken roast and beer, it seems like a wise investment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rose" wrote in message

When doing anything electrical, now that digital cameras are so
common, it doesn't hurt to take a picture of the connections before
disconnecting anything.

Are you trying to say that in order to get my oven repaired
I have to get that lazy no good husband of mine the digital
camera he always wanted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:58:03 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

[snip]

But if it is hooked up backwards won't it freeze the food?

Hmmm,
Freezing oven? That's new to me.

Yes :-) Also, putting flashlight batteries in backward will turn it
into a "flashdark". Something good to know if you don't like lights
when you're sleeping. Just turn on the flashdark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry L" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:58:03 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

[snip]

But if it is hooked up backwards won't it freeze the food?

Hmmm,
Freezing oven? That's new to me.

Yes :-) Also, putting flashlight batteries in backward will turn it
into a "flashdark". Something good to know if you don't like lights
when you're sleeping. Just turn on the flashdark.

they're called dark suckers: http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/darksucker.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

They must use a lot of those in Iraq, now that it's daylight saving time. So
they can fight earlier, and get home to bed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry L" wrote in message

Yes :-) Also, putting flashlight batteries in backward will turn it
into a "flashdark". Something good to know if you don't like lights
when you're sleeping. Just turn on the flashdark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Yes, but that's easy to fix. The OP should reverse the connection if
he/she sees ice forming on first use.