Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are these floor joists nice or not?

http://www.kptv.com/news/17951905/detail.html

The only problem I see are the gremlins that steal little children.
(sorry but only I can see them.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 4:13*pm, Duff wrote:
http://www.kptv.com/news/17951905/detail.html

*The only problem I see are the gremlins that steal little children.
(sorry but only *I can see them.)

Look at the other pictures at that site. There appears to be a rug
(amongst other debris) under the floor - the particle board floor, in
fact.

It also looks like some, or at least *parts* of some, of the joists
are on the rug, while others are not. I'm assuming that would have
made for a pretty uneven floor. Of course, from the looks of things
and the things said in the article, that might have been the least of
all the problems.

With all the debris under the floor, it looks like they thought it
would easier to build a new floor than the clean the old one!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:29:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 11, 4:13Â*pm, Duff wrote:
http://www.kptv.com/news/17951905/detail.html

Â*The only problem I see are the gremlins that steal little children.
(sorry but only Â*I can see them.)

Look at the other pictures at that site. There appears to be a rug
(amongst other debris) under the floor - the particle board floor, in
fact.

It also looks like some, or at least *parts* of some, of the joists
are on the rug, while others are not. I'm assuming that would have
made for a pretty uneven floor. Of course, from the looks of things
and the things said in the article, that might have been the least of
all the problems.

With all the debris under the floor, it looks like they thought it
would easier to build a new floor than the clean the old one!

Should have been a warm dry floor, anyway.
Reminds me of the place my kid brother used to own. The floor sloped
at least 8 inches across a 12 foot room. The only remedy was to build
a new floor over the old, using 2X10s ripped corner to corner in
wedges to support the new subfloor.(oddly, the ceiling was pretty well
level, so it had to have been built that way, and not sagged after
construction)

We figured it had taken a few cases of intoxicants to build the
foundation and floor, and a few more to finish the job!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 11, 4:13 pm, Duff wrote:
http://www.kptv.com/news/17951905/detail.html

The only problem I see are the gremlins that steal little children.
(sorry but only I can see them.)

Look at the other pictures at that site. There appears to be a rug
(amongst other debris) under the floor - the particle board floor, in
fact.

It also looks like some, or at least *parts* of some, of the joists
are on the rug, while others are not. I'm assuming that would have
made for a pretty uneven floor. Of course, from the looks of things
and the things said in the article, that might have been the least of
all the problems.

With all the debris under the floor, it looks like they thought it
would easier to build a new floor than the clean the old one!

Hard to tell from the pictures, but my best guess is that the floor the
kid went through is a false floor built over an old lumpy or wrong-level
floor as part of a hillbilly remodel job. Probably raising the floor on
an old converted porch or something. A false floor isn't always a sin,
but not pulling up the old carpet first is, as is using particle board
as a structural decking. The hole was probably to use the joist space as
an air duct, and they hadn't bothered to put a grate over it yet.

As to how the kid got down there- a 1 year old can fit anywhere their
head can get through, almost. Poor kid was probably terrified from all
the noise and hollering, and that is why she stayed put. As to why the
kid went down there- she was probably exploring, like kids do in kitchen
base cabinets. I think it is instinct- when you are that small, hiding
in small places is your only method of defense.

--
aem sends...

Floor joists car crash Home Repair 11 January 8th 08 02:30 PM
Floor joists geraldthehamster UK diy 14 November 7th 07 09:12 PM
Floor joists Callum UK diy 20 August 23rd 05 07:57 PM
floor joists Sploop UK diy 2 October 2nd 04 02:33 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 02:58 PM