Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Softener resin tank crack question

I have a Kenmore water softener (625.388250) that is 7 years old. When
I was adding salt, I notice that the outer shell of the resin tank is
cracked (crack starts about 10 inch from tank bottom). This shell
appears to be a thin covering for the resin tank. My questions a

1) Does this need to be replaced? The part cost is $350 plus shipping
from Sears. At that cost, I would probably buy a new unit.

2) I can buy a similar used water softener (slightly smaller tank but
it should fit) from craigslist. I would swap the two resin tanks. The
softener that is listed has not been used for a few years. Do I need
to be concerned about mold etc in the tank from long term storage?

Thanks.

Philip

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a Kenmore water softener (625.388250) that is 7 years old. When
I was adding salt, I notice that the outer shell of the resin tank is
cracked (crack starts about 10 inch from tank bottom). This shell
appears to be a thin covering for the resin tank. My questions a

1) Does this need to be replaced? The part cost is $350 plus shipping
from Sears. At that cost, I would probably buy a new unit.

2) I can buy a similar used water softener (slightly smaller tank but
it should fit) from craigslist. I would swap the two resin tanks. The
softener that is listed has not been used for a few years. Do I need
to be concerned about mold etc in the tank from long term storage?

Thanks.

Philip

Why not just patch the tank? It's already ugly. Your wife will never notice
it if you don't mention you are going to do it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

The resin tank sits inside the salt tank. I am not sure what to patch
it with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The resin tank sits inside the salt tank. I am not sure what to patch
it with.

I would think fiberglas. You buy get a single use boat patch kit that
includes the fabric, hardener, resin, plastic applicator and little mixing
tray for -- I'm guessing-- maybe $10 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 12:59*pm, wrote:
The resin tank sits inside the salt tank. I am not sure what to patch
it with.

A couple years ago I found an inexplicable 6" crack in the bottom of
my ancient Culligan plastic brine tank.

I enlarged it... I can't remember how... enough to take some JB Weld
and it's still holding.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

trust me, you cannot patch it and make it work.
just buy a new one and move on.....your welcome

"Sharp Dressed Man" wrote in message
wrote in message
The resin tank sits inside the salt tank. I am not sure what to patch
it with.

I would think fiberglas. You buy get a single use boat patch kit that
includes the fabric, hardener, resin, plastic applicator and little mixing
tray for -- I'm guessing-- maybe $10 or so.

Water softener resin tank Bob Landry Home Repair 3 August 2nd 07 02:29 AM
Old Tectonics water softener resin tank leaking Ed Home Repair 1 April 11th 07 01:01 PM
Kenmore Water Softener resin tank rupture Tsmall Home Repair 7 November 26th 06 09:19 AM
Flooded Salt Tank - Kenmore Water Softener ... S Rao Home Repair 6 October 11th 04 01:41 AM