Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane vs gas

My sister has propane at her house. The propane company shut off the tank
because they said they tested the line and found evidence of a leak
(without knowing where the leak is). My sis called a couple of plumbers
and asked for quotes to work on the line. A couple of them told her they
didn't work on propane lines.

Any idea why they wouldn't? What's the difference between a propane line
and a regular natural gas line that they wouldn't do the work?

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
My sister has propane at her house. The propane company shut off the tank
because they said they tested the line and found evidence of a leak
(without knowing where the leak is). My sis called a couple of plumbers
and asked for quotes to work on the line. A couple of them told her they
didn't work on propane lines.

Any idea why they wouldn't? What's the difference between a propane line
and a regular natural gas line that they wouldn't do the work?

Where I live the propane company works on their own lines. Plumbers will not
touch them because quite often the gas company owns the line. In my own house I
installed the line from in the house to the outside. Then the gas company ran
there line from tank to my connection and that is all they are responsible for.
If I want them to work on my part of the line they will charge me.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 10:09*pm, Chris wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

You have idiot plumbers and propane co. Maybe she can find the leak,
use dishwashing soap with just a bit of water to thin it and squirt it
on all visable fittings, a leak will bubble. Maybe something is just
loose, was the stove on and they missed that and thought it was a
leak?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Chris
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

If you called various plumbers to work on your part of the line, would
some of them decline to do the work? If so, why?

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
In article , Chris
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

In my area the propane companies have installation/service divisions and
are set up just to do that kind of work. It doesn't even make sense for
a plumber to bother.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
In article , Chris
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

Up here in Maine it's about license and liability. Basically, "You touch
it, you own it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Lachance wrote:
George wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
In article , Chris
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

Sure, but I think having way too many lawyers wanting to move wealth to
themselves 'ahem', "help others" is an issue in other places...

Also there is the cost of liability insurance. The insurance companies
charge is based on the type of work performed. I know the premium goes
up a lot if you mention fuel gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 3:37*am, Tom Lachance wrote:
George wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
In article , Chris
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

True...I bought a Nat Gas stove with a LP conversion kit and nobody
would come near it...I ended-up doing the job.

Propane vs. LPG Andy Dingley UK diy 18 November 26th 05 09:32 PM
Propane vs. LPG Dave Fawthrop UK diy 0 November 19th 05 06:53 PM
How much propane do you use? dean Home Repair 13 September 26th 05 12:28 PM
Oxy/Propane Howard UK diy 4 March 7th 05 03:39 PM
Propane FAQ Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 January 25th 05 01:31 AM