Howard

Default Oxy/Propane

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a torch using these fuels (no acetylene).

BOC's model 'O' looks like it has the right pedigree, small and
handy for jewellery work, but they are v. expensive.

Has anyone further suggestions re a similar torch, or even
alternative suppliers?

--
Howard
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Howard
wrote:

I'm currently looking for a torch using these fuels (no acetylene).

With a domain name like that, I guess you're not interested in my
usual recommendation of a big Saffire torch. You can swap the mixers
on them, so you can run either propane or acetylene, without a big
extra cost.

BOC's model 'O' looks like it has the right pedigree, small and
handy for jewellery work, but they are v. expensive.

Nice torches, certainly. I'm surprised they're not too big for
jewellery work - I use them for lead burning (welding to make roofing
parts)

A good place for buying oxy-fuel kit is eBay. Lots of stuff traded,
some new, so you afford to just pick the nicer condition stuff. O
torches though are a little rare and very sought after, so they're not
exactly cheap. OTOH, regulators, hose etc. are a bargain.

Couple of other points I'd suggest a

- Get propane hose, not acetylene. LPG puts holes in acetylene hose.

- Get a propane regulator. I know you can run a small torch on an
acetylene regulator, and you get gauges too, but I don't trust those
diaphrams on LPG.

- Get an "economiser". This is a torch hanging hook with a built in
gas-shut-off valve and a pilot light. Well worth it for the
convenience, if not the gas savings.
nightjar

"Howard" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a torch using these fuels (no acetylene).

BOC's model 'O' looks like it has the right pedigree, small and handy for
jewellery work, but they are v. expensive.

Has anyone further suggestions re a similar torch, or even alternative
suppliers?

These self generating oxy/hydrogen units were designed for jewellery work

http://www.skiweb.co.uk/agt/Microweld.htm

I've used one of the small models for precision brazing and found it very
effective.

Colin Bignell

Howard

wrote:

I'm currently looking for a torch using these fuels (no acetylene).

usual recommendation of a big Saffire torch. You can swap the mixers
on them, so you can run either propane or acetylene, without a big
extra cost.

I liked the look of the saffire, but BOC man said they were not
for propane use!

BOC's model 'O' looks like it has the right pedigree, small and
handy for jewellery work, but they are v. expensive.

Nice torches, certainly. I'm surprised they're not too big for
jewellery work - I use them for lead burning (welding to make roofing
parts)

The torch is for specific jobs, ie larger melt-ups and platinum work.
Both of which require lots of heat, either output or calories(?)

A good place for buying oxy-fuel kit is eBay. Lots of stuff traded,
some new, so you afford to just pick the nicer condition stuff. O
torches though are a little rare and very sought after, so they're not
exactly cheap. OTOH, regulators, hose etc. are a bargain.

Noted

Couple of other points I'd suggest a

- Get propane hose, not acetylene. LPG puts holes in acetylene hose.

- Get a propane regulator. I know you can run a small torch on an
acetylene regulator, and you get gauges too, but I don't trust those
diaphrams on LPG.

- Get an "economiser". This is a torch hanging hook with a built in
gas-shut-off valve and a pilot light. Well worth it for the
convenience, if not the gas savings.

Noted, thank you
--
Howard
Howard

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Howard" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a torch using these fuels (no acetylene).

BOC's model 'O' looks like it has the right pedigree, small and handy for
jewellery work, but they are v. expensive.

Has anyone further suggestions re a similar torch, or even alternative
suppliers?

These self generating oxy/hydrogen units were designed for jewellery work

http://www.skiweb.co.uk/agt/Microweld.htm

I've seen these and not taken to them at all, not for my purposes
where More heat and not just high temperature is required.

--
Howard