Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace propane fireplace with wood?

we have a home built in 2000 with a propane firepace

we have lots of hardwood for firewood

how costly would it be to replace the propane until with a wood burning
unit?

the fireplace sits on an exterior wall and is vented above the roof

i don't know what kind of chimney was used

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin" wrote in message
l.net...
we have a home built in 2000 with a propane firepace

we have lots of hardwood for firewood

how costly would it be to replace the propane until with a wood burning
unit?

the fireplace sits on an exterior wall and is vented above the roof

i don't know what kind of chimney was used

The best quote I've received is $1800 to do the reverse - switch from a
single 200 year old wood burning fireplace to a double level (new second
floor) propane fireplace (first and second floors on same flue/vent). That
involves pulling down the ancient set up and installing the flue/vent from
scratch. I would expect it would cost a lot more to make a "real"
chimney/flue, etc. from a vent, but who knows? Maybe you had a real hearth
and chimney installed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 3:31�pm, "Kevin"
wrote:
we have a home built in 2000 with a propane firepace

we have lots of hardwood for firewood

how costly would it be to replace the propane until with a wood burning
unit?

the fireplace sits on an exterior wall and is vented above the roof

i don't know what kind of chimney was used

you will have to get chimney inspected, it may not woprk for wood
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 3:31*pm, "Kevin"
wrote:
we have a home built in 2000 with a propane firepace

we have lots of hardwood for firewood

how costly would it be to replace the propane until with a wood burning
unit?

the fireplace sits on an exterior wall and is vented above the roof

i don't know what kind of chimney was used

I'd talk with a professional chimney guy. Most would probably come
out to inspect your fireplace and advise as it could be some business
for them.
I personally went through three of them before finding the one I did
business with. He also did work of 2 of my sons with their fireplace
problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are going to want to get some heat with the wood, you will have
to go one step past just converting the fireplace to wood, you will
need a fireplace insert. If you just convert to an open wood fireplace
you will find it will have a negative effect on your heating bill
since open wood fireplaces tend to suck heated air from the home with
reckless abandon.

When a contractor does an install of an insert they will do a
relining of the chimney anyway on the install, so in the quote process
the hearth contractor will let you know what you are facing for cost
and if your current chimney will do the trick for an insert unit.

In the meantime, if that gas fireplace is a gas log fireplace you will
probubly find that the damper was either diabled or removed. You are
going to want to get a chimney balloon into your flue to prevent heat
loss while you are ordering your insert or planning your next step.
Good quality inserts are on backorder for about 4 months right now, so
it may be a wait for you if you go that route.