John F.

Default Propane Gas "Fireplace" vENTING

Right now I have a propane fueled (BRAND UNKNOWN), cast iron "fireplace"
with the fake logs. It is vented with single wall black 4-inch stove pipe
into a pre-exisiting, interior, brick chimney that goes 2 stories up
through the roof. This chimney serves no other purpose. I would like to
remove the chimney to make space. My question is: can this be simply
vented through the sidewall of the house and terminate where it leaves the
house. The stove is currently insulated from the inerior walls by brick.

Rich256

"John F." wrote in message
Right now I have a propane fueled (BRAND UNKNOWN), cast iron "fireplace"
with the fake logs. It is vented with single wall black 4-inch stove pipe
into a pre-exisiting, interior, brick chimney that goes 2 stories up
through the roof. This chimney serves no other purpose. I would like to
remove the chimney to make space. My question is: can this be simply
vented through the sidewall of the house and terminate where it leaves the
house. The stove is currently insulated from the inerior walls by brick.

I doubt it. Usually the law is that the chimney must clear the top of the
highest part of the structure by some defined amount. You would probably
have to run something up the side of the house.

Dr. Hardcrab

"John F." wrote in message
Right now I have a propane fueled (BRAND UNKNOWN), cast iron "fireplace"
with the fake logs. It is vented with single wall black 4-inch stove pipe
into a pre-exisiting, interior, brick chimney that goes 2 stories up
through the roof. This chimney serves no other purpose. I would like to
remove the chimney to make space. My question is: can this be simply
vented through the sidewall of the house and terminate where it leaves the
house. The stove is currently insulated from the inerior walls by brick.

Buy some ventless logs and you won't have to worry about it. PLUS, all the
heat stays in your house.....

EXT

Not unless it originally was designed for this type of vent. However, you
may use "class B Vent" which is much smaller than the brick chimney to vent
it through the roof. It can be walled in with combustibles 2" from the vent
surface.

"John F." wrote in message
Right now I have a propane fueled (BRAND UNKNOWN), cast iron "fireplace"
with the fake logs. It is vented with single wall black 4-inch stove pipe
into a pre-exisiting, interior, brick chimney that goes 2 stories up
through the roof. This chimney serves no other purpose. I would like to
remove the chimney to make space. My question is: can this be simply
vented through the sidewall of the house and terminate where it leaves the
house. The stove is currently insulated from the inerior walls by brick.

George

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"John F." wrote in message

Right now I have a propane fueled (BRAND UNKNOWN), cast iron "fireplace"
with the fake logs. It is vented with single wall black 4-inch stove pipe
into a pre-exisiting, interior, brick chimney that goes 2 stories up
through the roof. This chimney serves no other purpose. I would like to
remove the chimney to make space. My question is: can this be simply
vented through the sidewall of the house and terminate where it leaves the
house. The stove is currently insulated from the inerior walls by brick.

Buy some ventless logs and you won't have to worry about it. PLUS, all the
heat stays in your house.....

But unfortunately all of the combustion byproducts will too.