Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default replace propane fireplace with wood?

"Kevin" wrote in message
l.net...
we have a home built in 2000 with a propane firepace

we have lots of hardwood for firewood

how costly would it be to replace the propane until with a wood burning
unit?

the fireplace sits on an exterior wall and is vented above the roof

i don't know what kind of chimney was used

The best quote I've received is $1800 to do the reverse - switch from a
single 200 year old wood burning fireplace to a double level (new second
floor) propane fireplace (first and second floors on same flue/vent). That
involves pulling down the ancient set up and installing the flue/vent from
scratch. I would expect it would cost a lot more to make a "real"
chimney/flue, etc. from a vent, but who knows? Maybe you had a real hearth
and chimney installed?