Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default lawnmower -- May I wash paper air filter? Only runs when pumping red bulb?

lawnmower -- May I wash paper air filter? Only runs when pumping red
bulb?

A) My Sears walk-behind mower uses a pleated paper air filter shaped
sort of like the inside cardboard of a toilet paper roll, but shorter.
Paper inside with a plastic skeleton around it. I can't go buy
another one now, and someone told me I could wash this one, even
though it's paper. Is there any truth to that?

B) I lent it out and my friend didn't use Sta-bil, and probably didn't
run it for a month or more, when summer was over. Now, it won't start
for him, and when I press the red rubber bulb 5 times and pull the
rope, it will often start and run for 5 seconds. If I get to the red
bulb in time, before it stalls, and I press the bulb 2 or 3 times a
second, I can keep the engine running as long as I do that. On
Friday, I pressed the bulb for about 30 seconds and then the machine
ran on its own 60 seconds until I turned it off, but now that I'm not
at my friend's house, and I'm at my own house, I've pumped the red
bulb and kept it running for 90 seconds, but a few seconds after I
stop, it stops too. The weather's not as warm as it was Friday.

It also runs when I spray starter fluid in the carburator throat.

Is Gum-out carburetor linkage spray, which can also be sprayed down a
carburetor, worth spraying into the gas tank? I don't think spraying
into the carb will do any good, will it?

What about gum-out fuel injector cleaner? That's meant to go into the
gas tank and disolve deposits wherever the gas goes. Likely to work
here?

Is Sta-bil going to do any good at this point? I thought that just
stops gum from forming?

Can I use all 3?

Is there any point to any of the three? That is, does pressing the
red bulb bypass the bowl and tube to the primary jet, and is that
where the problem is?

It's getting cold out and I have a recently broken arm, and recent
abdominal surgery, but I really want to fix this, and mow my lawn with
my own mower, before winter comes.

Any help is appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

A plugged filter would make it run rich, not lean. If taking the filter off
doesn't solve it, you will know the filter is not the problem. The real problem
is probably a gunked up carb, which may require disassembly to clean.

You should first have dumped and replaced the gas with fresh gas. Do it if you
haven't and try again. Some kind of carburator cleaner could help, but it's no
sure thing.

Sometimes, with fresh gas, just starting it and keeping it running for awhile by
using the primer or choke will get things cleaned out enough so that it will
keep running.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm

http://www.small-engines.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 4:18*am, mm wrote:
[...]

cant wash paper filters, you can buy a new one, carb need a pro
cleaning. Only maybe over winter will a carb gum up, but does it even
have a fuel filter, it may not be his fault but went bad over years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:42:14 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

Is there any point to any of the three? *That is, does pressing the
red bulb bypass the bowl and tube to the primary jet, and is that
where the problem is?

It's getting cold out and I have a recently broken arm, and recent
abdominal surgery, but I really want to fix this, and mow my lawn with
my own mower, before winter comes.

Any help is appreciated. *

cant wash paper filters, you can buy a new one, carb need a pro

OK I figured not but my friend was convincing. It's filthy but I'm
not saying it's the reason the engine won't run more than 8 seconds.

cleaning. Only maybe over winter will a carb gum up, but does it even
have a fuel filter, it may not be his fault but went bad over years.

Well, thanks to you and Bob F.

It was cold and windy today, but I planned on removing the carb and
cleaing it in what is apprently professional parts cleaner (though it
doesnt seem as strong as the stuff I bought 45 years ago. An old guy
at a motorcycle shop told me they don't sell the good stuff to anyone
anymore.)

But unlike the Briggs and Stratton engine, for this Sears, it looked
like the carb woudn't come off easily (the muffler was in the way of
one screw) especially with the recently broken arm weak and hurting
when I bent it in most directions)

So I took off the bowl and most of the gas came out through the screw
hole in the bottom of the bowl, but what was left looked terrible.

The little holes in the screw were fine and I think the tube that goes
up to the carb is clogged. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are
supposed to be in the 60's I think, or at least sunny. I'll do
something more then.

What does the red bulb do anyhow? It sprays gasoline in the throat
somewhere but where does the gas come from in most engines, which have
bowls? From the bowl? From something closer to the gas tank?

I have a book on repairing lawnmowers, but I coudn't find this detail.

(I have to mow my lawn once before winter, and it's either fix my
machine or borrow my neighbor's. He and I aren't getting along and I
don't know if he'll like me more if he does me a favor, or if he'll
think I'm indebted to him. Plus if I don't clean my mower out now,
it will be much worse by spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Running lean, of course.

Check for air leaks: air filter not seated properly, missing carb gasket
on some models.

Plugged carb jet. If it is only partly plugged, carb cleaner in the gas
tank should clear it up.

Maybe you could cover part of the air cleaner with plastic temporarily
to get a choke effect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:18:11 -0400, mm
wrote:

lawnmower -- May I wash paper air filter? Only runs when pumping red
bulb?

A) My Sears walk-behind mower uses a pleated paper air filter shaped
sort of like the inside cardboard of a toilet paper roll, but shorter.
Paper inside with a plastic skeleton around it. I can't go buy
another one now, and someone told me I could wash this one, even
though it's paper. Is there any truth to that?

Don't thik a paper filter should ever be washed. Chances are good
Sears sells these online.

[...]

You can use a carb cleaner (in the carborator) to see if that makes
any difference. Gum-out can make the engine run rough for awhile.

What about gum-out fuel injector cleaner? That's meant to go into the
gas tank and disolve deposits wherever the gas goes. Likely to work
here?

Is Sta-bil going to do any good at this point? I thought that just
stops gum from forming?

Can I use all 3?

Is there any point to any of the three? That is, does pressing the
red bulb bypass the bowl and tube to the primary jet, and is that
where the problem is?

It's getting cold out and I have a recently broken arm, and recent
abdominal surgery, but I really want to fix this, and mow my lawn with
my own mower, before winter comes.

Any help is appreciated.

Empty out the gasoline and fill it with fresh gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

lawnmower -- May I wash paper air filter? Only runs when pumping red
bulb?

NO.
I tried washing the paper air filter for my car's engine once, and one day
it just fell apart letting leaves and other crap in. You can wash out
plastic foam filters, though.
As for your other problem, the gas is just probably old and contaminated,
and the carburetor may have some varnish. You will need to flush out the gas
tank (spray some carb cleaner in there to get everything out, and use a
siphon pump to make things easier) and spray some carb cleaner around the
throat of the carburetor. As a future tip, if you let gas get too old you
can make the motor run reasonably well by spraying some starting fluid into
the gas tank.

- Logic316

"Thieves respect property. They merely wish the property to become their
property that they may more perfectly respect it."
-- G.K. Chesterton

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 01:51:21 -0500, Matt
wrote:

Running lean, of course.

Check for air leaks: air filter not seated properly, missing carb gasket
on some models.

Plugged carb jet. If it is only partly plugged, carb cleaner in the gas
tank should clear it up.

Maybe you could cover part of the air cleaner with plastic temporarily
to get a choke effect.

That's a darn good idea, about the plastic. I don't know why they
don't put chokes on lawnmowers anymore. Or throttles either on many.

Then people wouldn't have to listen to the loud engine when the lawn
is short or sparse.

The choke idea should help some other time even if it doesn't work
this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Running lean, of course.

Check for air leaks: air filter not seated properly, missing carb gasket
on some models.

Plugged carb jet. If it is only partly plugged, carb cleaner in the gas
tank should clear it up.

Maybe you could cover part of the air cleaner with plastic temporarily
to get a choke effect.

That's a darn good idea, about the plastic. I don't know why they
don't put chokes on lawnmowers anymore. Or throttles either on many.

Thanks.

You said you sprayed starting fluid in the the throat. Does that mean
you've been trying to run without the air cleaner? I wouldn't expect
that to work, because the air cleaner is supposed to cause a pressure
drop that will produce a choke effect when running normally.

Once I tried to run an old Briggs without the air cleaner gasket and
couldn't get it to start---it was running too lean until I put the
gasket back in.

If you can get it to run, you can get flow through the jet(s) and
dissolve gums and so on that might be obstructing the jet(s).