Posted to alt.home.repair
Logic316 Logic316 is offline

Default lawnmower -- May I wash paper air filter? Only runs when pumping red bulb?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:18:11 -0400, mm
wrote:

lawnmower -- May I wash paper air filter? Only runs when pumping red
bulb?

NO.
I tried washing the paper air filter for my car's engine once, and one day
it just fell apart letting leaves and other crap in. You can wash out
plastic foam filters, though.
As for your other problem, the gas is just probably old and contaminated,
and the carburetor may have some varnish. You will need to flush out the gas
tank (spray some carb cleaner in there to get everything out, and use a
siphon pump to make things easier) and spray some carb cleaner around the
throat of the carburetor. As a future tip, if you let gas get too old you
can make the motor run reasonably well by spraying some starting fluid into
the gas tank.

- Logic316

"Thieves respect property. They merely wish the property to become their
property that they may more perfectly respect it."
-- G.K. Chesterton