Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dixon ZTR .............

SteveB wrote:

A zero turn radius riding lawn mower two stick steer. Anyone own one? Like
it? Hate it? Talk to me.

I don't have one, a neighbor got one and loves it, and the majority of
commercial landscape crews use them. Key thing to remember with them is
to take care of the hydrostat pumps with regular filter and fluid
changes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A zero turn radius riding lawn mower two stick steer. Anyone own one? Like
it? Hate it? Talk to me.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Posted to alt.home.repair

They're really the only way to go if you like getting the job done and
making it look good. And don't worry about the hydrostat oil change, it
only need to be done about every 500 hours. I think that's a long, long
time for a homeowner. We only change them in commercial service every two
years. And thats with 6 day a week use.

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
A zero turn radius riding lawn mower two stick steer. Anyone own one?
Like it? Hate it? Talk to me.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Posted to alt.home.repair

guess i should have mentioned to steer away from the dixon. it's kinda
junky. look at the exmarks. If you have a really big wallet and like to go
fast, dixie chopper. Fastest mower in the world.

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
A zero turn radius riding lawn mower two stick steer. Anyone own one?
Like it? Hate it? Talk to me.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

They're really the only way to go if you like getting the job done and
making it look good. And don't worry about the hydrostat oil change, it
only need to be done about every 500 hours. I think that's a long, long
time for a homeowner. We only change them in commercial service every two
years. And thats with 6 day a week use.

I didn't mean to imply that the hydrostat oil had to be changed
frequently, only that proper maintenance there is critical. The oil
level should certainly be checked each time you use the mower, since if
it runs out of oil and starts to suck air it can destroy the hydrostat
pump in short order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BIG BIG difference between a DIXON and a DIXIE CHOPPER...

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
news
guess i should have mentioned to steer away from the dixon. it's kinda
junky. look at the exmarks. If you have a really big wallet and like to
go fast, dixie chopper. Fastest mower in the world.

Huh? You post that you like them. Then you post they're junky. Wasssup
with that?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
BIG BIG difference between a DIXON and a DIXIE CHOPPER...

But I thought you wrote the following the Dixon when Pete said to watch
out for the oil levels:

They're really the only way to go if you like getting the job done and
making it look good. And don't worry about the hydrostat oil change, it
only need to be done about every 500 hours. I think that's a long, long
time for a homeowner. We only change them in commercial service every two
years. And thats with 6 day a week use.

I'm confused.

Will look at Dixie Chopper as well as Dixon, but I want a ZTR rider, and I
want a GOOD one. Within reason, that is.

The Dixies are ZT, as are the SCAG and Ferris mowers, and they are found
in abundance in commercial service. There are some decent consumer level
units out there in various brands, but the real commercial grade units
cost $10k+.

On the hydrostat oil, it's not a matter of having to change it
frequently, but you do have to make sure the level is ok pretty much
every time you go to use the mower. If a mouse chewed a hose while it
was sitting in your shed, you could **** out the oil and trash the
hydrostat pump before you knew what was going on. Hydrostats are great,
but the pumps are expensive and easy to destroy if you run them dry or
with contaminated oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was unclear in that response. When i said "They're really the only way to
go......" I meant ZTR's in general. THEN after i hit send i realized that
he had mentioned Dixon, and THEN made the reply towards that .

sorry for the confusion.

PS. if you wan't a GOOD one, seriously, look at the exmark lazer Z.

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

But I thought you wrote the following the Dixon when Pete said to
watch out for the oil levels:

They're really the only way to go if you like getting the job done and
making it look good. And don't worry about the hydrostat oil change, it
only need to be done about every 500 hours. I think that's a long, long
time for a homeowner. We only change them in commercial service every two
years. And thats with 6 day a week use.

I'm confused.

Will look at Dixie Chopper as well as Dixon, but I want a ZTR rider, and I
want a GOOD one. Within reason, that is.

Steve

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

news guess i should have mentioned to steer away from the dixon. it's kinda