Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Dixon ZTR .............

SteveB wrote:

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
BIG BIG difference between a DIXON and a DIXIE CHOPPER...

But I thought you wrote the following the Dixon when Pete said to watch
out for the oil levels:

They're really the only way to go if you like getting the job done and
making it look good. And don't worry about the hydrostat oil change, it
only need to be done about every 500 hours. I think that's a long, long
time for a homeowner. We only change them in commercial service every two
years. And thats with 6 day a week use.

I'm confused.

Will look at Dixie Chopper as well as Dixon, but I want a ZTR rider, and I
want a GOOD one. Within reason, that is.

The Dixies are ZT, as are the SCAG and Ferris mowers, and they are found
in abundance in commercial service. There are some decent consumer level
units out there in various brands, but the real commercial grade units
cost $10k+.

On the hydrostat oil, it's not a matter of having to change it
frequently, but you do have to make sure the level is ok pretty much
every time you go to use the mower. If a mouse chewed a hose while it
was sitting in your shed, you could **** out the oil and trash the
hydrostat pump before you knew what was going on. Hydrostats are great,
but the pumps are expensive and easy to destroy if you run them dry or
with contaminated oil.