Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance Service Call Prices...WOW

Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Now you know why this is such a busy group sigh

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 7:39�am, Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:04:15 -0400, Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

"Service is a bitch".
You might think it is high but after you start up your own company and
purchase trucks, parts, insurance, health care, occupational licenses,
gasoline, tires and repairs, workmenscomp, taxes and a wealth of other
costs, you'll begin to understand why you actually got a pretty good
deal.
Bubba

I have my own small office machine repair company. I currently charge
100 bucks a hour for labor plus extra travel for long distance calls.

but the costs are horrendous. my big competitor charges $250.00 for
the first hour. now thats stunning..........

sears rip off service charges 2 travel charges for the same tech to
service a furnace with air.

I quit shopping at sears over this blatant rip off.

generally small local repair companies cost less than big operations
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:04:15 -0400, Luca wrote:

Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

"Service is a bitch".
You might think it is high but after you start up your own company and
purchase trucks, parts, insurance, health care, occupational licenses,
gasoline, tires and repairs, workmenscomp, taxes and a wealth of other
costs, you'll begin to understand why you actually got a pretty good
deal.
Bubba

Yes, and the number one reason why new businesses fail. Many don't
realize what it costs to run a business and decide they can do it for
much less and then quickly go out of business when the bills come in.
Especially a service business where you loose so much time because of
travel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

You could probably have saved some money by taking the refrigerator to the
service department...

Posted to alt.home.repair

This summer I had all sorts of things break around my house. I knew how to
fix everything myself and spent around 2k on parts for this and that.

I can't imagine how much I would have had to pay if I called for pros to fix
everything. I'm sure glad I am a "mechanical" type...

"Luca" wrote in message
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:39:17 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

You could probably have saved some money by taking the refrigerator to the
service department...

I tried, but when I got it out to my car, it would not fit in the
trunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Luca" wrote in message
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Exactly the reason to start fixing things yourself. The more you do it, the
better you get. The younger you start, the more you learn, and the simpler the
tasks tend to be.

When I fixed my icemaker, it cost me a few $ for a plastic gear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in
:

"Luca" wrote in message
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Exactly the reason to start fixing things yourself. The more you do
it, the better you get. The younger you start, the more you learn, and
the simpler the tasks tend to be.

When I fixed my icemaker, it cost me a few $ for a plastic gear.

RepairClinic,com is your friend...among others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Luca" wrote in message
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Typical. Most places charge similar rates. Included in that price is travel
time, the van, insurance, fuel, wages, benefits, telephone, dispatcher,
parts inventory, rent for the office, taxes, health insurance, etc. Sure,
they make a profit, but not as much as most people think.

I use service labor frequently and the cheapest I pay is $65 an hour. Most
are $80 to $100. The most expensive are the service techs for our machines
that have to come from Austria. $1200 a work day, $800 per travel day, plus
expenses. We can usually get a break on airfare as it may be split amongst
two or three other companies they visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote in
:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:04:15 -0400, Luca wrote:

Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

"Service is a bitch".
You might think it is high but after you start up your own company and
purchase trucks, parts, insurance, health care, occupational licenses,
gasoline, tires and repairs, workmenscomp, taxes and a wealth of other
costs, you'll begin to understand why you actually got a pretty good
deal.
Bubba

Well said Bubba. I do realize those things even though I've never been in
business.

I would think though that a service call includes some initial amount of
time. Maybe the 20min/$90 the OP spoke of was for time beyond that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would think though that a service call includes some initial
amount of time. Maybe the 20min/$90 the OP spoke of was for time
beyond that.

Some do. Some dont. Mine does. I charge one price to come out and
diagnosis the problem. If it takes me 3 hrs to diagnose, it looks
like you win. If I diagnose it in 5 mins, I guess I win. Its kind
of an "average". I charge what it takes to keep my doors open and
make a descent profit so I will be there the next time your
appliance needs repair.
Bubba

I had a new guy come fix the furnace. He turned a valve, talked a lot,
tapped on another valve with a crescent wrench, then charged $167 for
his time. The furnace was making heat, so I paid it, but he won't be
getting a call for all the rest of the stuff he wanted to do "for" me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Poo!

Have you checked the rates for "Exotic Services" in Craigslist?

$180 for a half-hour!

There oughta be a law!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

I had a guy come and look at my oven. $79 service charge. Wanted $500
for a new motherboard.

Thank you for affirming my decision to buy a stove with no electronics, no
motherboard, no touch screens or buttons. It does have a fan for the
convection though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Luca" wrote in message
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

I had a guy come and look at my oven. $79 service charge. Wanted $500 for
a new motherboard. I pulled the oven out, got to the tech sheet, plugged in
the oven, got the error code, and fixed it myself for $49. It was the
automatic lock on the self clean. I also got back my service call money,
after threatening to take them to the local TV station.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Poo!

Have you checked the rates for "Exotic Services" in Craigslist?

$180 for a half-hour!

There oughta be a law!

You mean, a gummint funded program that provides free pussy to
romantically challenged individuals?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Luca wrote:
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month
over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150
for new icemaker for a total of $319.

GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....

Poo!

Have you checked the rates for "Exotic Services" in Craigslist?

$180 for a half-hour!

There oughta be a law!

You mean, a gummint funded program that provides free pussy to
romantically challenged individuals?

That's change I can believe in!

oh, wait, if that is anything like other government programs, I'd hate
to see what I could get with my "action stamps..."

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with you. That sounds like the kind of stove I'd have in my house.
Actually, I have a Whirlpool washing machine the last folks left. In 1994.
It needed the motor oiled, and then about 8 years later, the motor needed
oiling, again. I still use it, to this day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Thank you for affirming my decision to buy a stove with no electronics, no
motherboard, no touch screens or buttons. It does have a fan for the
convection though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a new guy come fix the furnace. He turned a valve, talked a
lot, tapped on another valve with a crescent wrench, then charged
$167 for his time. The furnace was making heat, so I paid it, but
he won't be getting a call for all the rest of the stuff he wanted
to do "for" me.

So does that mean that you are ****ed because someone charged you
$167 to turn on a valve that you were to stupid to turn on
yourself? Bubba

That means that some "professionals" charge more than others, and some
"professionals" are crooks who do shoddy work for inflated prices,
taking advantage of people. And some are so rude that they need to be
never called again, or if online to be killfiled. Bye.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

I had a guy come and look at my oven. $79 service charge. Wanted $500
for a new motherboard.

Thank you for affirming my decision to buy a stove with no electronics, no
motherboard, no touch screens or buttons. It does have a fan for the
convection though.

Ditto here. Just give me plain old valves, and maybe ONLY an electronic
timer and clock. But this had everything tied together electronically, even
the self clean feature, which was what malfunctioned. I'll gladly flip a
lever and pay $100 less. Nowadays, you really have to look for a stove with
no electronics. Even the gas have electronic sparkers. I've just about
decided to go with propane range top or range/stove, then a separate
oversize electric oven.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have not been able to find an oven without a touch panel and
electronic thermostat controls. I am still nursing along my old
whirlpool oven with the mechanical clock/timer and real knobs on the
front.

This is mine.
http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Pro...CatID=PS&ID=47

Knob for start and temperature collection, knob for light and convection.
One burner had two knobs, one for extreme high, the other for extreme low,
or both can be used together.

No timer, no control panel an circuit board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

I had a guy come and look at my oven. $79 service charge. Wanted
$500 for a new motherboard.

Thank you for affirming my decision to buy a stove with no
electronics, no motherboard, no touch screens or buttons. It does
have a fan for the convection though.

Ditto ditto ditto.

I purchased a rebuilt washer and dryer from a recycle org some years
back. They provide 30 day warranty with appliances and have a great
reputation. I had the option of choosing a pair of plain jane turn the
dial ones or a pair with electronic controls for the same price - $250pr.
I took the dial ones.

Some years later the dial on the washer went bad. Looked up price for new
one - like $105 + tax and shipping. Entire rebuilt washer only 125.
Suddenly occured to me if the place rebuilds them they may have parts
around. Call, tell them I bought it there, they say they have one dial, I
says how much, he says how 'bout $14 total.

**** happens. Sometimes even good ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the laugh.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Still shorting wires together to pop breakers hollerbutt?

That's called the Jesus method.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks for the laugh.

It's true, I have a heavy duty plug with
a couple of #10 stranded wires coming out
with wire nuts on the bare ends of course.
I will plug it into an outlet, carefully
remove the wire nuts, hold the bare ends
a few inches apart, turn my head away to
protect my eyes from the bright flash
then short them together while exclaiming
"JESUS!". A bit of loud noise and an atom
bomb like flash and I have found the breaker.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Would it be easier to use two hair dryers? Plug both in, turn on one and
then the other. Should be enough current draw to trip a breaker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks for the laugh.

It's true, I have a heavy duty plug with
a couple of #10 stranded wires coming out
with wire nuts on the bare ends of course.
I will plug it into an outlet, carefully
remove the wire nuts, hold the bare ends
a few inches apart, turn my head away to
protect my eyes from the bright flash
then short them together while exclaiming
"JESUS!". A bit of loud noise and an atom
bomb like flash and I have found the breaker.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Would it be easier to use two hair dryers? Plug both in, turn on one and
then the other. Should be enough current draw to trip a breaker.

It's not as impressive or as much fun.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"We are professionals; please do not try this at home."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus