Posted to alt.home.repair

Default underbed storage and lift support

I am wanting to build something akin to the underbed storage one would
see in an RV. Mattress on a flat board, with a handle of the foot of
the bed to lift the platform hinged up at the head of the bed...and
underneath is storage...the storage area is marginally smaller in
perimeter than the mattress and maybe 12" deep..(the depth will be
determined by the total height, including the mattress thickness)

I am wondering what kind of lift supports to use. I've found something
at Rockler, and one is called 100 and one is 150 and I don't know if
that refers to pounds it can support...

Any input, advice will be appreciated.

This bed and underbed storage is being considered for a weekend
getaway place, so space is a premium and I'm thinking that bed linens,
pillows and blankets can be stored under the bed.

Thanks.
Perry
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are commercially available clear plastic storage boxes that just
slide under the bed. Nice until our dog (small) goes under the bed and
gets back in a corner. Need a broom to poke him out. Not pretty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cajunpaisley wrote:
[...]

A platform bed (2x4 and plywood, with 4x4 corner post legs) and some of
those flat plastic storage boxes to slide underneath, is a lot easier
and probably cheaper. (The plastic boxes are also a lot more mouse,
moth, and mold-resistant. Linens in a weekend-only place are a fine spot
for small uninvited guests to keep warm.) I wouldn't wanna be leaning
down into a coffin-shaped linen chest with a 6-foot long 100+ pound lid
hanging over me. If that detent fails, a bad day all around.

If your heart is set on it, hinge the long side, and provide a resting
ledge for the mattress/board combination, and a drop-down prop stick and
socket for the stick to rest in. Hinges on the long side will make it a
lot lighter and easier to open as well.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

cajunpaisley wrote:

I am wanting to build something akin to the underbed storage one would
see in an RV. Mattress on a flat board, with a handle of the foot of
the bed to lift the platform hinged up at the head of the bed...and
underneath is storage...the storage area is marginally smaller in
perimeter than the mattress and maybe 12" deep..(the depth will be
determined by the total height, including the mattress thickness)

I am wondering what kind of lift supports to use. I've found something
at Rockler, and one is called 100 and one is 150 and I don't know if
that refers to pounds it can support...

Any input, advice will be appreciated.

This bed and underbed storage is being considered for a weekend
getaway place, so space is a premium and I'm thinking that bed linens,
pillows and blankets can be stored under the bed.

Two suggestions:
* Waterbed stores will sell you drawer sets that you can just stack in
place. They're cheap, and cheaply made, but you'll be done.
* If you want to make your own, look at the Murphy bed hardware. Maybe
something will work for you.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 8:29*pm, Red Green wrote:
professorpaul wrote in news:ef879a86-0e19-473f-
:

There are commercially available clear plastic storage boxes that just
slide under the bed. Nice until our dog (small) goes under the bed and
gets back in a corner. Need a broom to poke him out. Not pretty.

...and they're light and some have wheels so they roll out easily when
weighted with pure **** junk under the bed.

We still haven't solved the problem of the dog, who appears to read
minds. When my wife was getting dressed for church, dog is looking at
her carefully. This is about the time the dog heads under the bed. She
looks at him and says "Its true." Dog dives under the bed. Oh well....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 5:08*pm, cajunpaisley wrote:
[...]

For many years my wife and I shared a platform bed that I built 20+
years ago.

The base was constructed of four 2 x 12's, held together by standard
door hinges inside each corner. The platform was made of 3/4" plywood
with 1 x 6 sides attached with angle iron. Under the plywood, to
prevent warping, was an "X" of 3/4 ply the same height as the base.
Notches were cut in the two pieces to "X" them together.

We stored our sleeping bags and other seasonal linens under the bed. I
would lift the end of the platform, matress and all, and the wife (or
kids) would put stuff in and out.

Over the years, we used different headboards, starting with a mirror
when we were young and better looking and trying fabric, wood and
nothing over the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:29 pm, Red Green wrote:
professorpaul wrote in news:ef879a86-0e19-473f-
:

There are commercially available clear plastic storage boxes that just
slide under the bed. Nice until our dog (small) goes under the bed and
gets back in a corner. Need a broom to poke him out. Not pretty.

...and they're light and some have wheels so they roll out easily when
weighted with pure **** junk under the bed.

We still haven't solved the problem of the dog, who appears to read
minds. When my wife was getting dressed for church, dog is looking at
her carefully. This is about the time the dog heads under the bed. She
looks at him and says "Its true." Dog dives under the bed. Oh well....

Not mind reading, body language and and scent markers. Dog sees the
dressing process, smells the fresh-washed scents, and knows it is time
to play the 'see how long I can keep them here by playing hide and seek'
game. Akin to dogs (or little kids) freaking out when they see shoes
being put on and hearing car keys rattle.

--
aem sends...

Lift off Brackets John UK diy 12 March 5th 08 10:13 PM
how much storage weight can my trussed roof support? Rob Horton UK diy 11 April 11th 07 11:23 AM
Support Platform for Water Storage Tanks? Colin Brook UK diy 2 July 24th 06 01:03 PM
Precision Router Lift versus Quick Lift Never Enough Money Woodworking 8 December 4th 05 05:24 AM
Router lift C & M Woodworking 2 September 3rd 05 01:22 PM